Master Untangler

Default Access Point Configuration Help

Configuration of my network is as below:

DSL Modem (setup in bridge mode) -> Untangle (setup as Router) -> Home WiFi (setup as Access Point)

From an Untangle perspective, I did not really do anything to my Home WiFi. Put it in Access Point mode, plugged it into the Untangle appliance ... all is good.

I have since invested in a Netgear Orbi based system with a router and 2 satellites. Same deal, put the router in Access Point mode and plugged it into Untangle. Did not do anything special on the Untangle side. Sync'ed the satellites to the router, done. All seems to be working well.

I just thought I would ask if there is anything on the Untangle side that should be setup that is best practice to support an access point "better".
    Untangle 15.0.0 (Build: 15.0.0.20200319) (Kernel: 4.9.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Netgear Orbi needs to be configured in bridge mode (access point only). Otherwise the Netgear Orbi will NAT wireless traffic and the Untangle will only see the IP address of the Netgear Orbi.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 02-03-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    theoak likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Netgear Orbi needs to be configured in bridge mode (access point only). Otherwise the Netgear Orbi will NAT wireless traffic and the Untangle will only see the IP address of the Netgear Orbi.
    Yup ... did that. Network and rules all seem to function as normal.

I just asked wondering if there was a "better" way to do things for the Access Point (now Orbi). For example ... put the IP address assigned to the Access Point as Bypass??? etc ...
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Nope, you have it setup the same way I do at home.
    theoak likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I did the same as you did. I put my Orbi router into AP point mode and that was all that was needed. I did have the DHCP server hand out static IP addresses to the root Orbi (connected to Untangled) and my two satellites. You have to know the mac addresses but that is easy to get from the hosts list on the Untangle router. It's been running fine for a year now.
    theoak likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RonV42 View Post
    I did the same as you did. I put my Orbi router into AP point mode and that was all that was needed. I did have the DHCP server hand out static IP addresses to the root Orbi (connected to Untangled) and my two satellites. You have to know the mac addresses but that is easy to get from the hosts list on the Untangle router. It's been running fine for a year now.
    Yes, I did the same, assign static ip to my Orbi router and satellites. Thanks for the confirmation.
    QOTOM-Q355G4

Same Orbi setup here. One thing to note though...even in AP mode, the Orbi Router and Satellites phone-home like a son of a b!tch. I originally created a Firewall rule to block external access to my Orbi Router and 2 Satellites, but they freaked out even more trying to hit a NTP server many many many times every minute. I ended up specifying an NTP server of my choice in the Orbi admin console and added an Untangle Application Control rule to block everything except NTP. So far this has worked out really well for me.

ntp.png
    theoak likes this.

Untanglit

I created NAT rules to capture DNS and NTP and direct them to my time server and DNS server. Where I found the really chatty service is the DDNS service that kept pinging to see if the IP address on the gateway has changed over and over again. I have disabled the DDNS services and now I find that my Orbi's only seem to phone home to check on the status of firmware updates.

Shortly I will be retiring my Orbi's because they can't do Vlans by SSID and will be moving to Unifi AP's. Should be a almost painless transition with more security on my home network.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RonV42 View Post
    Shortly I will be retiring my Orbi's because they can't do Vlans by SSID and will be moving to Unifi AP's. Should be a almost painless transition with more security on my home network.
    Don't forget that you can also create groups and rules in the Unifi control panel. Chris from CrossTalk Solutions does an excellent presentation on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6IzYGAI7IE&t=240s