Untanglit

Question CPU Lacks SSSE3 support

Installing Untangle 14.2.2 on a VM. A screen came up upon boot up for Configuring libhyperscan4 that states:

This CPU lacks support for the Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3) instruction set that is required to execute programs linked against hyperscan.

Really install package?

Not sure what to answer. Appears No is the default. If I answer Yes what is likely to occur?

This will be connected from our cloud servers to an Untangle appliance on premise with a site to site VPN.

I answered Yes on this question and getting ready to finish the configuration.

Can reinstall and answer No if this will cause some type of problem or if that is required for proper operation.

Please advise.
    Last edited by djrees; 02-06-2020 at 07:48 AM.

That's an issue with your Hypervisor, it's not extending CPUs to its guests properly. If you want help with that, we need to know what Hypervisor you're using.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Nutanix host, Windows Server 2016 - SCVMM - Hyper V - Box is checked for allow migration on the CPU page.

Untanglit

Does the previous message i posted answer your question about the Hypervisor? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The error is exactly what it says on the tin, Debian is lacking that instruction set, and I have no idea how or why it's not making it to the guest.

It usually means virtualization support for the CPU is disabled, or the CPU is ancient and doesn't support it and generally indicates the platform you're attempting to virtualize on simply doesn't support virtualization. And I mean that in general, because this isn't an Untangle problem, it's a hardware problem.

But then the rest of the situation devolves, because as far as I know Server 2016 won't let you install the HyperV role if SSE3 is missing. I suggest contacting support for your container, perhaps they have an idea.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-10-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

If it is debian based
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    and look for sse3. Or
    Code:
    grep ' sse3 ' /proc/cpuinfo

Untanglit

Thank you I will run these commands to check the results.

Untanglit

Ran the commands and found SSSE3 is present. I believe this message came up because while creating the VM it is common practice for us to select the check box for Processor compatibility. It is selected to allow us to Migrate to a physical computer with a different processor version. One of our original hosts with older hardware is using a different Intel CPU then the two newer hosts. The processor compatibility option limits the features that a virtual machine can use. So when this is checked it must not have the SSSE3 extension.

By the way the second command I used was grep ' ssse3 ' /proc/cpuinfo It needed one more s to work.

Thanks for all your help with this, I have very little linux command knowledge, really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by djrees; 02-16-2020 at 01:29 AM.
    Jim.Alles and donhwyo like this.

That would make sense! Glad you got it sorted.
    NexgenAppliances.com