alb

Default Configure Untangle Wireless Interface on Hyper-V

Hi everyone

I have been using untangle on LinksysWRT1900ACS at home for several years and am looking for an upgrade path now that this hardware is not supported.

After a few attempts Untangle is now setup and is running on hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro desktop (Intel i3 dual core). Both the external and internal interfaces are configured and working with Internet connection through WAN available for other devices connected to LAN port.

I also want to setup WiFI and can add a new network interface card (Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter) but this is not recognised for WiFi configuration - the wireless configuration tab is not appearing.

Does this need to be done in initial setup or is there another trick to setting up WiFi?

Thanks in advance

There's a huge difference between a wireless NIC, and a radio capable of being an access point.

Do yourself a favor, get a dedicated WAP. It'll just be better.
    Jim.Alles and gedavids like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

I would agree with sky-knight. Hostpad can be difficult with a device designed to be a AP. Ubiquity or just reuse your LinksysWRT1900ACS as the AP. reload the OEM FW on it or load DDWRT and call it a day.
    Jim.Alles and gedavids like this.

alb

Yes that is likely the solution I will end up putting in place at my home. The UniFi gear that I have been using with Untangle in my network has been solid (and probably over-kill for what I really need).

There are still some applications when having a stand alone device could make sense for me and this will help keep the up-front cost and complexity down (e.g. at my sonís unit) so I can expand on it later.

I am still keen to work through how to set this up and test WiFi with Untangle on hyper-v before I purchase any more hardware - have had a lot to do getting myself and rest of the family setup at home already.

The problem is you'll likely never get that to work, the list of supported adapters is minuscule, and worse... not really possible within a VM. You'd have to do PCIe pass through for a supported adapter into Untangle for Untangle to manage it correctly... all of that is a massive collection of ifs, in an already unsupported space (HyperV).

This configuration is going to give you fits...
    gedavids likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

alb

Thank you both for your advice and I understand your recommendation for separate WAP which makes sense. I should explain my situation a bit further. Before submitting this post I had followed the instructions to reload the original Linksys firmware and this all worked fine. However doing that also convinced me to reinstall and keep using untangle and look into options to replace these devices in the meantime. I had also considered using DDWRT again but still want to look into hardware options for running untangle. The setup with hyper-v is to test this and try out different configurations - with or without WiFi.

alb

Got it. Understood sky-knight. More trouble than its worth!

Untanglit

I concur with others in this thread, the only way to do this is with PCIe passthrough to the VM of a physical device. If you just wanted to simulate a wifi NIC so you could see it being setup in untangle, sorry, that's just not possible. There are no VMs I know of that support a wireless NIC, because simulating it would add a bunch of unnecessary complexity that would ultimately get wrapped in regular IP packets anyway.