Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Disk Space on New Installation

I have a new installation from 24 hours ago. In that time, my disk space usage has grown to 70% used. I have 2 hosts going through the firewall right now. The specs of the system are minimum, I realize this; but this is going to be for my home/lab network, so I was assuming it would be OK based on the hardware requirements on https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...e_Requirements.

I've listed my HW and App usage below; but is there a way to determine what is consuming the disk space so quickly?

24hour_resource.png
    disk usage.png

Hardware
    • Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • 90GB SSD
    • 8 Intel 1GB Interfaces (5 active)

Apps
    • Web Filter (trial)
    • Virus Blocker Lite
    • Bandwidth Control (trial; but no rules)
    • Application Control (trial)
    • Firewall
    • Policy Manager (trial;6 racks under Default Policy)
    • Directory Connector (trial; using API notifications from external RADIUS)
    Last edited by boxerboys; 05-19-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Apps -> Reports -> Settings

Data tab

Turn down the data retention days.

Untangle starts out with no report data, for every second it operates, it'll consume more and more drive space as it meets that configured retention time. Now much storage you need depends on your network, so until you hit the steady state point... that is however long you set your retention to, it's going to keep using more and more space.

If you set it to 1 day, tomorrow you should have drive space back. You'll also see how much you're using and what's there can be roughly considered your expense per day.

My networks of about your size consume about 22gb for 14 days of retention for a network your size. So your consumption does seem to be abnormal.

Config -> network -> advanced -> options

What's enabled in the bottom 4 check marks? All those log lines can generate buckets of data, especially the last two.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

This system is only 24 hours old; so data retention should not be an issue (although it is at the default of 7 days for reports). And there are only 2 devices going through; my laptop and phone. On Network Advanced, I have not changed anything:

network_advance.png

Untanglit

If it helps; from the following command, I see 52G used in /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main/base/16385

[root @ untangle] ~ # du / -h G | grep G

du command.png

Some of the apps have category options you can choose to "Flag". If you went through and checked to flag everything, this is the result. Untangle is not intended to work that way.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.4.1 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Untanglit

Thank you; but haven't done that. This is pretty much an out of the box install outside of a few things:
    - a couple policy rules to map policy racks
    - a couple of event triggers to assign tags to API notified user sessions

Since this morning, it has increased another 5GB of storage; so now 77% used. Something is eating space; fast. I am going to try and disable various apps to try and find out what. But I would think there should be something within Untangle or CLI to decipher what is doing this?

Appreciate the support. Again, this is now day 2 of this install. I have plans to purchase the license, but need to make sure disk consumption is not going to be an issue.

Untanglit

running the Disk Usage Report CLI command I can see that it is the reports.user_table_updates files consuming most of my space. 23GB yesterday and 16GB today. I assume this is not normal. My user table has 1 entry in it.

I am using the API to update user entries; but in looking at the API events; it is only a couple of API events per minute.

user-table-size.png

You already have good advice from people that have an eye for it.

One general suggestion for this product, is to zoom back out of the weeds.
    If this wasn't a mature product, digging on the command line might be needed.
    But the things you have pointed at are what these guys have mentioned - reports and data retention.

That's not to say you haven't found a bug.
    At this point, I would open a support ticket.
    gedavids likes this.

Untangle Ninja

My go to is https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...k_Usage_Report

And then look from there.
    My guess is that you have something screaming in to the kernel or messages log.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast