Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by thetx View Post
    Do you mind sharing the specific Qotom PC configuration you chose? How is the performance? Did you install Untangle directly or on a VM?
    It's the i5-4200 8GB RAM 64GB SSD version of this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3286...61224c4d0Zilc3

Did a clean install from USB and currently running Untangle 15.0. Performance is fine, my home network isn't very demanding. The kids are still young, so whilst they stream a lot of stuff from the smart TV etc, they're not all simultaneously gaming online, etc etc. Memory usage hasn't gone over 25% and disk is at about 30%. I don't have SSL inspection enabled except on the Kids and IoT policies (to enforce web filters, safe search etc) so CPU usage seems minimal.

Compared to the Cyberoam device I had before, it runs with way more headroom even when things are pretty idle, so I'm hoping it will last me a good while into the future.

Screenshot 2020-05-31 at 15.44.31.png
    thetx likes this.

Those system specs on Untangle are usually plenty to handle gigbit filtration with around 200 devices on it.

So headroom? Yeah... you've got it.
    thetx likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Other than UI, what are some features of Sophos XG that you think are superior to Untangle?
    The only features of XG that I've missed whilst setting up Untangle are UI related: the ability to clone rules. The Duplicate above/below for example. Also setting up groups of hosts, ports etc to use in rules/policies is a bonus. I know that you can do similar things in Untangle with tags and Policy Manager, but it's not as easy as on XG.

In terms of other stuff, I think the Sandstorm technology is interesting. I only ran the free trial when I had it, so can't say long-term how useful it is or if it's just hype.
    mikeyscott, CMcNaughton and Brutos like this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Those system specs on Untangle are usually plenty to handle gigbit filtration with around 200 devices on it.

So headroom? Yeah... you've got it.
    You think?... I know it's somewhat overkill for my needs, but I wasn't too sure which direction I was going to settle on. I figured I'd go for a device that gave me some room to try different things and repurpose one day if necessary.

Untangler

I am currently researching a firewall solution for home usage. I currently have Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh router at home and I am looking for better visibility and protection for the kids internet usage.

Important features I am looking:
    • Block distracting sites (YouTube, etc) during homework and school time
    • Block Ads
    • Block adult content and inappropriate sites on the kids devices only

Would you still get Untangle if you were starting over? Is the Home solution worth the price in comparison with free options like pfSense, Sophos XG, etc? What features do you feel is worth the price?

Do you recommend going with the Z4, or something that is compatible with multiple firewalls, like Protectli?

Thank you so much!
    I'm a home user, and I install Unifi networks in residences. I still love UBNT for wifi and switches, but not unifi routers if you need to shape traffic manually, or set-up VPNs easily. I started with UT just last year with a Protectli J1900. I upgraded to a Protectli J3160 because in my house of 5 regular users, plus devices it gives me tons of headroom as speeds improve in our area (currently 2x 50Mb/10Mb going to 200Mb/50Mb). I used to use Tomato as it gave me adequate parental control (before everything went to https that is), great QOS and limited VPN. With UT, you get WAY more of all of that, plus WebFilter which protects everyone from accessing malicious sites. My only wish is that UT would support two WANs that share the same gateway. I have no regrets with UT and don't know of another UTM that offers a home license that offers the same level of robustness.

Untangler

I think no home should be without Untangle and echo what the others have said. The best $50 / year you'll ever spend.

For Ads, set yourself up a pihole server. It's free and I've yet to see anything work as good. It also has some blocking options as well via DNS queries. It runs on next to nothing. I have one on a raspberry pi and another in a debian container so I can reboot one or the other without affecting the network.

pihole.jpg

pihole2.jpg
    Last edited by propellherhead333; 06-03-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    CMcNaughton and Brutos like this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    The only features of XG that I've missed whilst setting up Untangle are UI related: the ability to clone rules. The Duplicate above/below for example. Also setting up groups of hosts, ports etc to use in rules/policies is a bonus. I know that you can do similar things in Untangle with tags and Policy Manager, but it's not as easy as on XG.

In terms of other stuff, I think the Sandstorm technology is interesting. I only ran the free trial when I had it, so can't say long-term how useful it is or if it's just hype.
    I agree wih the above statement, atm though I'm back running Sophos XG after not being able to get the filter rules working as I wanted. More perseverance prob required and I'm prob doing the syntax completely wrong.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
    I agree wih the above statement, atm though I'm back running Sophos XG after not being able to get the filter rules working as I wanted. More perseverance prob required and I'm prob doing the syntax completely wrong.
    Is that your Sky box? There's no other rule or app that's maybe sabotaging you in the chain? Looks like you had the syntax pretty sorted, so maybe it's not that rule which is the issue?

Untangler

Is that your Sky box? There's no other rule or app that's maybe sabotaging you in the chain? Looks like you had the syntax pretty sorted, so maybe it's not that rule which is the issue?
    Hi, yes and potentially a rule issue, although tested it with various conditions based around TAG, MAC, Client IP etc.

Swapping back to Untangle is a 5-10 minute task as all I have to do is pull the disk from the PowerEdge R220 and fit the Untangle SSD etc. All the settings re IP schema, reservations etc are the same.

The only features of XG that I've missed whilst setting up Untangle are UI related: the ability to clone rules...
    Agreed. It's been requested/give it an upvote for us! https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...-firewall-rule

TL;DR - it says "firewall rules", but it was merged with another request that includes "all rules" for cloning.
    Armshouse and Jim.Alles like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast