Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Oh for the love of...

They're two different products, and they work via different mechanisms!

If you use a DNS filter, you generate a "block" for every DNS request. If you use a session filter (Web Filter), you generate a "block" for every WEB REQUEST.

There can be HUNDREDS of DNS requests for every Web Request, and vice versa. It all depends on how the web site in question was constructed, and how the filters cut out pieces of it. To make matters worse it also matters how the site tries to side step these measures because that's how they make money.

You can't just take the total block numbers and compare the two and come up with anything sane. That's just like trying to sell CPUs based purely on clock speed, it flat doesn't work! Now that doesn't mean the market doesn't TRY to work on the entire bigger number = better concept... but it's still stupid.

Now, there is a trust issue at play here. Web Filter is based on Webroot... and as a commercial product it may be prone to bribery... It's been known to happen with all AD busting products. I don't really press this matter much because I consider websites to be TV stations, and cutting out the ADs used to support those stations while still accessing the content is thievery. I DO use anti-AD technology though, but in a course way intended not to prevent ADs in general, but to stop the proliferation of dangerous ADs that cause damage to my equipment. Something Webroot is good at too.

If you want to stop ALL ADs, PiHole is a better set of tools. PiHole is also a DNS filter when Untangle is not, so the combination of the two would be yet another defense in depth concept. Two approaches to the same problem get different results after all.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-06-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    donhwyo likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Oh for the love of...
    My last comment. I was talking about Web Filter. One product, different results among different users.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    My last comment. I was talking about Web Filter. One product, different results among different users.
    That's due to different configuration, and... of course the wildcard of all wildcards... the fact that the Internet is made out of CDNs now... Go to any given website from where you are, and I'll go to the same, but we'll both be served very different content from very different networks.
    thetx and mikeyscott like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    3rd party testing sites, such as the Sophos site linked here have a high frequency of building intentionally built to make the product they belong to look better than it actually is. And because the site is harmless, there's no reason for other vendors to mark said site as "malware" or whatever... so you can't use them to test against reliably.
    Like the man says... If you do a site lookup in Apps > Web Filter > Site Lookup

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 12.38.10b.png

So unless you had that category blocked, it would pass.
    Last edited by Armshouse; 06-07-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Untangler

To DoH with you all. lol (sorry, i just had to throw that in) I completely agree with Sky-Knight on this. This is why my pi-hole is used WITH Untangle apps. But for reasons already discussed, web filtering is low on function due to the increased use of SSL. The cache is good for those lil wee unencrypted web files that saves time to fetch locally.

Untangle Staff: Pretty please trade the web filter, SSL inspector, web cache and ad blocker for the threat prevention app only found in the business license. I'll be your friend forever more. :-)
    Last edited by propellherhead333; 06-09-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234