Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing untangle in proxmox?

Hi, I'd like to replace my ISP's ONT modem and use untangle instead. But I'll be installing untangle on proxmox so I have a few questions.

1. If I want to run untangle as my router, and proxmox already has an IP address, how do I go about making untangle the router all my devices get their internet from?

2. Post untangle installation, do I have to change the IP address of my proxmox machine or what exactly do I do?

I realise these are somewhat amateur questions but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I start down this journey.

Edit:
    Copying my comment from below.

There is already a guide available on another site that has the patches and scripts to replace the ISP's ONT using untangle.
    So the issue isn't if it's possible, it is. I just need help with installing untangle on proxmox.

Some more info.

Specs:
    HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 C
    RAM: 8Gigs
    Network card: 82579LM Gigabit - onboard
    PCIE Network card: NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit (2 SFP+ ports)

The NetXtreme II BCM57810 receives the GPON, in one of the SFP+ ports, that normally goes into the ISP modem.

The other SFP+ port goes to my switch.
    Last edited by Syraza; 06-08-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Untangle Ninja

Sorry I don't know if you can "replace my ISP's ONT modem". If so add another bridge, vmbr1 or whatever. Assign a nic to it and plug your ethernet from isp into it. This would be your external interface. vmbr0 would be internal.

You will need to optimize the interfaces to get good threw-put. I only have 60/5 mbs so I don't know how well it will work.

Good luck
    Last edited by donhwyo; 06-08-2020 at 08:00 AM.

Untangler

First thing first. You will have to keep the modem and Untangle will be your firewall/router. If what you have now is modem/router combo (from your ISP) then you will have to ask them to put this combo device into the bridge mode (simplest way, no double NAT).
    Untangle needs 2 ports (the easiest way) to make it work. One is for connection to your modem (WAN/internet) and the other is for your LAN. You could also use virtual ports if you only have 1 physical UTP port in your PVE.
    I've read somewhere here on this forum that virtual ports are not working properly with Untangle. I would suggest you to install a PCI card with 2 UTP ports in your PVE hypervisor PC. You can get them very cheap on Ebay.
    Please read some Untangle Wiki to get the idea how connections work (and the rest of other very useful stuff).

There is already a guide available on another site that has the patches and scripts to replace the ISP's ONT using untangle.
    So the issue isn't if it's possible, it is. I just need help with installing untangle on proxmox.

Some more info.

Specs:
    HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 C
    RAM: 8Gigs
    Network card: 82579LM Gigabit - onboard
    PCIE Network card: NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit (2 SFP+ ports)

The NetXtreme II BCM57810 receives the GPON, in one of the SFP+ ports, that normally goes into the ISP modem.

The other SFP+ port goes to my switch.
    Last edited by Syraza; 06-08-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Untangle is Debian, Proxmox is Debian, you simply setup a container... and install it.

I'm sorry to say, if that process is unclear, then you don't know enough about Proxmox for this project to succeed. And we can't really help now, because that would just push off the problems until later, and when you get there we really can't help.

If you want to do virtual Untangle, you need to be familiar with the hypervisor, it's networking abilities, AND Untangle to make it all work. That's why platforms other than vSphere aren't "supported". The forums will help where they can, but be aware there are dragons here too big to fight via a forum.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 06-08-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

That's totally understandable. And I admit I don't know much about Proxmox. I was hoping someone else might have had a similar configuration but I suppose not.

This is a learning project for me as much as the goal is to end up with a functional replacement for the ISP modem.

I'll play around and figure it out.

Thanks!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Syraza View Post
    Can you post or pm me a link to the other site? Sounds interesting. I have answered a few other proxmox questions on here if I have a clue I will try to answer yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Can you post or pm me a link to the other site? Sounds interesting. I have answered a few other proxmox questions on here if I have a clue I will try to answer yours too.
    I tried to PM you but your inbox is full currently.

The guides are on dslreports.com forums

This one is for proxmox

And this one is for untangle.

But here is the main topic is the main topic that links to those two guides and also has links to guides for pfSense and OPNSense and VyOS.

I'm just learning about proxmox, so I'm wondering if the following is a viable setup.

I have three network interfaces (not sure if im using the right term here). Two SFP+ on BCM57810, and one RJ45 on the onboard nic.

One SFP+ connection will be used by the ISP GPON module. The second SFP+ will connect to my switch using a DAC.

The RJ45 onboard interface will connect to the switch.

I can do pcie-passthrough for the BCM57810 interfaces to the untangle VM, which will provide internet to all my devices through the switch. And thus, my proxmox machine will also have internet through the RJ45 connection.

Is that something that's viable?

Untangle Ninja

I assume you are using proxmox 6. You may not need to build the kernel stuff?

Get the hardware working in proxmox first. Don't pass the hardware unless that is the only way. I do similar but with 3 regular either-net ports. I create a 3 vmbr bridges and assign a nic to each bridge. A bridge is basically a virtual switch. Gives a lot of flexibility if I want to test beta versions or such.

Since I won't likely get fiber any time soon I can't test though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast