Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untangler

Thank you very much, I owe you a beer, this worked great!

Tips for others who know just enough Linux to get into trouble, like me. Ubuntu, while Debian based, did not work, the default Ubuntu configuration would not install grub2. I took the easier path of switching to Kali Live and that did work. After "apt-get install grub2 -y" you are given the option of selecting a partition to install it to. I opted for neither knowing it would be installed in the next command. It warns you nothing will be done, just say OK and continue. Finally Rufus also works great for writing bootable USB sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by MattFL2 View Post
    I took the easier path of switching to Kali Live and that did work. After "apt-get install grub2 -y" .
    This will break upgrades. Kali is not the same as Debian. You will need to reinstall Untangle in order for upgrades to work in the future.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    This will break upgrades. Kali is not the same as Debian. You will need to reinstall Untangle in order for upgrades to work in the future.
    What is the procedure for re-installing without losing any settings? Simply backup the settings, run the install then restore the settings? I'm on one of your Z4W appliances. Also is there not a way to run a repair type procedure to replace the boot manager with a compatible one, instead of re-installing?

Replacing the boot loader isn't going to kill upgrades. Every single upgrade cycle Untangle runs the process to install Grub.

This response is the overly generic response of, hey you changed your OS so it's not supported anymore. The missing upgrade is missing due to some other reason, you should have v15.1.1 visible... if you don't something is wrong. I highly doubt that something is wrong is your replacing grub. Missing upgrades means your UID isn't eligible yet, or something is wrong with APT.

If you're really worried you could repeat your procedure with a Debian 10 installation media, which is something I've done on a few units personally and watched them upgrade to v15.1.1 afterward just fine. JCoffin assumes the upgrade to v15.1.1 will actually break your unit, no... as far as I can tell it'll simply replace Grub2 with the Untangle provided one.

Now, does your box reboot after that? Who knows! Reboot it... test it... Have a configuration backup ready in case you need to reinstall. Because that's the only supported way to fix anything on this level.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattFL2 View Post
    What is the procedure for re-installing without losing any settings? Simply backup the settings, run the install then restore the settings?
    Yes.
    On some other machine (not the NGFW box). - sorry if that was already painfully obvious.
    I also enable support access then backup prior to upgrade procedures.

Untangler

Thanks guys. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how a boot loader could break the upgrade and just assumed maybe they're checksumming a few things and refusing the upgrade if any thing isn't "theirs"? Generally speaking, do older backups work on new versions? i.e. if I have a backup from 15.1.0 and the upgrade to 15.1.1 fails, causing me to install 15.1.1 from scratch; will I be able to restore my 15.1.0 backup? I only ask because I see no way to manually download old versions, only the latest version for manual download (15.1.1).

Untangle configuration backups are generally usable on the next version up.

So a v15.0 backup can be restored on v15.1, but not necessarily on v15.1.1. (But sometimes you can)

Old versions are listed in the wiki: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...wall_Downloads
    MattFL2 likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Old versions are listed in the wiki: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...wall_Downloads
    Thanks, I couldn't find that for lookin'!

Yeah, gone are the easy days of finding them all on SourceForge. Though the wiki really is a better place, more official.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This response is the overly generic response of, hey you changed your OS so it's not supported anymore .
    This is precisely what is happening.

I received an email stating that an account and ticket had been created for my install. I had remote access disabled. After a few tries to get access to my firewall, I was told that it had been modified and they closed the ticket as unsupported. Now, it was supported enough to install the bricking-as-a-service update, but not supported enough to fix the screwup. I’m a bit concerned that Untangle support has full root access to my firewall when remote support is enabled and I don’t have to acknowledge or approve the access.

Untangle had a great chance to build support and trust by coming clean the moment this issue was discovered, not weeks later. They could have made the effort to fix what they broke, no matter what the situation. I’ve never seen any Debian that was irreparably bricked by a grub update or one that the only solution was a complete reinstall.

But instead, Untangle has decided to blame the user for hitting themselves and then close the tickets when they can’t fix what they broke.

As a developer for a rather large Linux based DNS server, I can say that I will never suggest Untangle as an option for our users.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12