Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ------ Just received upgrade to 15.1 from within the console----- Failed -----

I had just received notice that the Untangle 15.1 was ready and can be installed/ upgraded.

I allowed the upgrade to take place.
    After the upgrade completed, there is now an error, and Untanbgle is not working.

Error Code is:
    ======================

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/gettext.mod ' not found

entering rescue mode
    grub rescue>
    ======================

After the upgrade no internet services are available.

Luckily I had a stand by/ backup Untangle VM, so that I can at least gain access to the Internet, until I can either resolve this issue or install a new Untangle VM

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciatred.

Untangle Ninja

your best by far is to re-install and restore a backup. trying to fix that one is going to be a very uphill battle.

Hi,

Thank you for the response back to my question as I had started the tedious process after I had posted the question. As since I am not a command line guy with the OS. I figured it may be quicker, that me trying to learn the command line language and attempt a repair.

: (

Thankfully I had backed up my rules, and such, so it is not as bad in restoring the config I had.

Thanks again!

Master Untangler

If you have a backup of the config, you can just build from scratch and restore.

I got a similar error today...a day after we put a z4 appliance in. Not a great way to start out with a customer. "Grub_calloc" not found. What causes these things?

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle, and the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrishuff1 View Post
    I got a similar error today...a day after we put a z4 appliance in. Not a great way to start out with a customer. "Grub_calloc" not found. What causes these things?
    Although in general, and specifically for troubleshooting purposes it is best to start your own thread (unless you are contributing to an active thread) my best advice is for you to contact Untangle support.
    If you think I got Grumpy

I had this happen with two of our client Untangle firewalls on 8/31 and 9/1. I called Support and received the following information:

1. The newest 15.1 update has a bug that causes this issue.
    2. The only fix is to reload the box from scratch with the 15.1 ISO (which is earlier) and reload the configuration.
    3. If you have an Untangle that shipped with 15.0, you should keep it on 15.0 or if you need to restore a configuration, you must download the 15.1 ISO and upgrade the Untangle to restore a 15.1 OS. Untangle told me they have frozen all auto-updating; they haven't even rolled the auto-update back to an earlier version of 15.1.

This led me to the following conclusions.
    1. I turned off auto-update on ALL of our client Untangle boxes and recommend you all do the same. I can't believe Untangle let this upgrade go out without finding this bug; it's an absolutely serious one.
    2. I recommend from now on, not upgrading Untangle to a new version until it has been out 1-2 weeks to weed out potential issues. This is normal for me with other vendors, but Untangles default to auto-update on, which I also believe is an unfortunate choice.
    3. If you don't have a subscription for the Configuration Backup feature, or another way that saved a configuration; you're likely going to have to rebuild the box. This leads me to believe Configuration Backup should not be a paid feature.

My faith in Untangle's QA process has been greatly shaken by this, and I can't afford to have a client who has 4-8 hours of downtime because we had to go onsite, reload a firewall with the 15.1 OS, restore the config, and ensure everything is working; their Internet, VoIP phone systems, camera systems, etc.

We are extremely lucky; we could have had 50 firewall outages simultaneously instead of two. That said, the two were for the same client, which was not a good situation. I wouldn't have known Untangle had an issue if I hadn't spoken with support; while I'm on their mailing list, Untangle has not sent out any messages aware of informing users of this issue. Given that my organization is an Untangle partner, this is doubly disappointing.

Should something like this happen a second time, I won't let it happen a third. I will make an immediate recommendation to move all of our clients off of the Untangle platform.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I had this happen with two of our client Untangle firewalls on 8/31 and 9/1. I called Support and received the following information...
    Thank you for this information. It confirms my suspicion/gut instinct reading of these forums that the 15.1 release/upgrade has not been/is not entirely stable. I've put off upgrading from 15.0 by any method because of that. I understand that things happen (even Microsoft has managed to brick a few devices on upgrade), but it's never pleasant or convenient when they do.

The lack of clear public communication is disappointing. I hope Untangle will publicly confirm a rock solid 15.1 release when that's available.

Hey all,

I thought I would post a fix to this for anyone who experiences this bug. It's much easier than re-installing Untangle.

The company I work for uses Untangle for the majority of our firewall deployments. We've now had 3 clients go down in the last month during working hours on account of this issue. It's been a real disappointment in terms of using Untangle as part of our managed services.

The fix is pretty easy, although I'm still unsure as to what is causing this.

--- Fix Instructions ---

1. Download and burn a live Debian based linux distro to usb. Since I work in security, I used Kali linux for this along with Belana Etcher
    2. Reboot to the usb. Within the gui, start a terminal
    3. Run the below commands

sudo -i
    fdisk -l
    (look for the drive that has a linux and swap partition, usually /dev/sda1, the below is w/ sda for the example)

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    apt-get update && apt-get install grub2 -y
    grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    If the grub update was successful, you should be able to reboot normally
    Last edited by matt@cylanda.com; 09-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    MattFL2 likes this.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by matt@cylanda.com View Post
    Hey all,

I thought I would post a fix to this for anyone who experiences this bug.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast