Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untanglit

Oh wow, thank you. I do have a spreadsheet with all of the VLAN info. On the uplink to Untangle from the main switch i have 1 untagged, 9 tagged, 15 tagged and 50 tagged.

I am now thinking that that the only scenario that makes sense is that I switched the wires for Internal and Basement and due to some unique circumstances, nothing else breaks. There is an unmanaged switch in the basement that currently has no wired clients. All of the basement clients are coming in through the basement vlan so I wouldn't notice if the basement switched was plugged into the wrong untangle port. The main switch should have been plugged into the internal network on the untangle box, but may still work the same if plugged into the basement network as all of the dumb clients come into ports defined as 1 untagged and PVID of 1, so, I presume, the switch is tagging that traffic with a 1.

I am not on location now, so I will need to check this some other time. I am not 100% sure I mis-wired, but seems likely even though I thought I checked them by unplugging one at a time and refreshing the interface page.

Request to intel: color code ethernet ports corresponding to the order of the mac addresses or something like that for people like me.

I have heard that vlan 1 is usually used for the backbone, but I haven't heard that it can't do double duty as the trusted network. I guess that lowers security by allowing my normal home traffic to see the switches? It has seemingly worked for years for me now, but, maybe causing invisible problems or security holes? Also allows me to not notices mistakes such as the above.

Quote Originally Posted by dbh1 View Post
    I have heard that vlan 1 is usually used for the backbone, but I haven't heard that it can't do double duty as the trusted network. I guess that lowers security by allowing my normal home traffic to see the switches? It has seemingly worked for years for me now, but, maybe causing invisible problems or security holes? Also allows me to not notices mistakes such as the above.
    Well, it can do whatever you want. I just find it easier to leave it be and avoid the confusion of messing with it.
    And although it is good practice to segregate the infrastructure, but it isn't much of a thing at home.

Ugh yes the worst part of a multi-port NIC... you never know if port 1 is the bottom one... or the top one.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123