Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Canít restore 14.0 onto 15

According to this, you can restore from the previous version: https://forums.untangle.com/installa...-2-15-0-a.html

However, I just tried to do so and it says ďbackup file version not supported (14.0) and I am running g 15.0.

Basically had a hard drive failure and rebuilding from scratch. unfortunatly it has been a while since I have run a backup so only have a 14. I donít want to start from scratch. Is there a way to update my backup? I guess I could install 14 on a VM elsewhere and upgrade it but sounds like a lot of effort for something that is supposed to work without it.

Also, is it possible to retrieve settings from an untangle drive using disk recovery tools? What files would I be looking for? How would I move them to a working installation?

Thanks.

Untangle Ninja

You can upgrade one version back. 14.0 to 14.1 for example. you can get old versions here.
    https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...wall_Downloads
    So 14.0 > 14.1 > 14.2 > 15.0 > 15.1. You might need sub versions too, can't say for sure. It pays to stay up to date.

Is it worth the time? Or just run 14.0 in a vm and copy the settings by hand?
    f1assistance likes this.

Untanglit

Thanks. Any thoughts on recovering the settings from the crashed SSD?

Also, is it possible to retrieve settings from an untangle drive using disk recovery tools? What files would I be looking for? How would I move them to a working installation?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh1 View Post
    Thanks. Any thoughts on recovering the settings from the crashed SSD?
    Unfortunately, there is no set of files that contains the configuration, except the backup.

There could be a backup in the cloud account?

Another thought is that the 'export' function in each module is sometimes more portable, and you might be able to import directly from the 14.0 version once you have it spun up for anything that is complex, rather than going through all of the upgrade steps.

a v14.0 install wouldn't take too long to upgrade to v15.0, and a v15.0 backup can restore into v15.1.

That's what I'd do in this situation, make a VM out of v14, restore the backup, upgrade it to v15.0, pull a backup, install v15.1 on the hardware and restore the v15.0 backup to it.
    automationstation likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks for all of the ideas. I got lucky and got the system back up in safe mode and then made a backup. Dell diagnostics says that the drive is fine. Any reason why it would just stop booting into normal mode out of the blue with no changes to the hardware?

I think I am going to move to a new machine anyway (going from an optiplex 790 to a optiplex 980 8gb to get AES-NI. This is an advanced home setup so should be good enough. Leaning toward using a new ssd drive just in case or should I believe dell and use the old one? Though I presume I would want to do a fresh install anyway due to hardware changes or is Linux forgiving like win 10?

Thanks!
    Jim.Alles likes this.

I can't speak to how well Debian would react to the new home, but I would do the fresh install simply due to new NICs/MAC addresses and the fact that you are going to a new kernel, AND you don't know what kind of corruption may have occurred.

Maybe use the old one as a cold spare.

How old is the SSD? and have you looked at recall-type issues? Various Mfg.s have screwed up a couple of things along the way.

Debian isn't Windows, tossing the SSD into a new machine results in a working system 100% of the time if the BIOS on the new platform can read the same boot sectors.

Note, the networking configuration can get wonky... but it should still at least boot.

To be honest, even Windows 10 is far more portable than people give it credit for these days...

As for what happened, I'm not sure... the upgrade to v15.0 does force a reboot to a new kernel, THAT update could have caused this. The upgrade to v15.1 does it AGAIN. Both steps change the hardware support reality of the platform.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Thanks. I just started with a new drive to be safe. Though a lot more work to move it over then expected. Have Vlans set up so needed to find a laptop with an Ethernet cord to place next to the firewall. Then found that my usb stick from last week was 15.0... never easy. Anyway, I bet you are right, system went down a few evenings ago. Probably right when 15.1 would have been auto upgraded. Maybe it isn’t worth allow auto upgrades? Or is this rare?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast