Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can login via terminal but not via webui

This is a pretty strange situation, being that the untangle box is remotely administrated password reset procedure is a bit more challenging.

I have 2 untangle units, one is fully licensed the other is the free version (this is the version I have the issue with). I know my admin username and password, and in the event that I am having a brain fart I have checked the username autocomplete in every machine I would access this unit from. I know the password because it is allowing me to login to the terminal as root, using this password.

Is there anyway to recover the username in Terminal? Or anything I can do in terminal to reset the user details. Any ideas that don't require me paying a visit to the datacentre (if untangle goes down, so do all of the guests OS's on this server).

Cheers,

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle, and the forums!

what version?

You will probably want to contact support.

Another idea: try the Command Center?

Use Command Center to login into the box and reset the password.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks for the prompt responses! I wasn't sure what time zone you were all on so didn't expect such quick replies. In the meantime I decided to bite the bullet and head to the DC and installed a raspberry pi behind the server with cellular access, and also rdp into hyperv on which the untangle firewall is running as a guest so all options are on the table.

I actually found the command centre for the first time earlier today but couldn't quite find what I was looking for, and assumed that I might not be able to do what I need because this particular utm was running the free version. I can see this specific utm in command centre so it is registered to the same cloud as our licensed server but perhaps you could point a command center newbie into the right direction as it does sound like the easiest option.

As for what version I am running, I believe it is being continuously updated so I assume its the latest version but if you can give me a command to run in terminal I could confirm the same.

Hey, Karl - welcome! So - if you're connected to Command Center and your device is online, we're going to stop talking about CLI/terminal now. It's almost completely unnecessary (imho) to successfully manage an Untangle device. I've literally never had to use it on my NGFW at home in 5+ years.

You can see/do everything you're needing from CC. If you'll click on the "Appliances" tab, it will show your devices that are registered to your account. From here, you can click on a device and hit the "Remote Access" button at the top to remote into the server. This will also show their current version of the software. Here are all the Command Center articles from our Support Team, which could be a huge help: https://support.untangle.com/hc/en-u...Command-Center

Let us know if you have any questions!

OK, so under appliances, I have the list of appliances on the left side, the the status is green, with the warning indicator stating 'no active licenses found', when I click remote access I get 'Unable to establish a connection with this appliance. Please check that the appliance is online and try again. You may need to wait a few minutes."

Untangler

So it looks like you don't have a subscription. You can still ask for support. They will get to you as their workload allows. Or reinstall.

This also needs to be enabled. #config/system/support

support cc.png
    jcoffin likes this.

You do not need to reinstall to recover the admin ui's password, but you do need to be on the physical console to access the recovery utilities to reset it.

Which... unless it's a VM or attached to an IPKVM requires direct physical access to do.

I presume there is a means by which the password could be reset via SSH, but that has never been made public to my knowledge.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast