Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle iso as FOG boot source

Hey all,

I just wanted to check with everyone to see if anyone has been able to utilize the untangle iso as a boot source for a FOG PXE server.

I've followed the directions from george1421 on adding installers for images. I'd post the link but I'm 2 (now 1) shy of being able to post links.

Using the Debian 9.2 instructions, I changed the paths of /images/os/debian/ to /images/os/untangle as well as using the current buster version for the netboot configuration - 10.4 from the ftp mentioned in the article. What I get is a debian setup that doesn't look like the untangle installer but an older version of debian.

Has anyone correctly set up a fog PXE server to achieve an untangle netboot option? Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.

I was going to discuss dnsmasq,

but you are talking about spinning up an NGFW instance from a PXE boot?

My short answer is no.
    CMcNaughton likes this.

Fog can implement dnsmasq. In fact, I have it enabled serving different pxe files for bios and uefi at the moment.

How are you able to netboot using dnsmasq?

NGFW runs dnsmasq. Dnsmasq has a tftp server.
    Advanced tab gives you access to [DNS & DHCP] Custom dnsmasq options.
    "Warning: Invalid syntax will halt all DHCP & DNS services."

pxe-prompt= and pxe-service= in:
    http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

This is not supported by Untangle, and may not even be wise on a security appliance.

Ahh I gotcha.

I was looking more for how others have enabled netbooting to the iso. Particularly with the FOG open source PXE software.

Thanks for that information though!

Untangle Ninja

The iso is an installer and would need to be configured each time. Maybe look at installing to your nas or something or running as a vm?

I'm ok with configuring each install, I would just like to serve the iso via network without having to use a physical usb drive which tend to grow legs.

I've used the FOG Project and unless you're planning on imaging many firewalls, it doesn't make sense. I don't understand your use?

Edit: https://fogproject.org/
    Last edited by f1assistance; 06-26-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    I've used the FOG Project and unless you're planning on imaging many firewalls, it doesn't make sense. I don't understand your use?

Edit: https://fogproject.org/
    I'd like to not have to rely on keeping a usb around for installing Untangle. Can't keep track of these things to save my life.

With serving the ISO over the network, I can boot to the ISO via PXE, configure, deploy, rinse and repeat. I hate to say but my current workflow is buy a pack of USBs, wait for amazon to deliver, format usb w/ rufus and untangle iso, boot, configure, lose all usbs before next install, rinse and repeat.

Plus, I plan on deploying a few in my city.
    Last edited by iamrt; 06-26-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamrt View Post
    I'd like to not have to rely on keeping a usb around for installing Untangle. Can't keep track of these things to save my life.

With serving the ISO over the network, I can boot to the ISO via PXE, configure, deploy, rinse and repeat. I hate to say but my current workflow is buy a pack of USBs, wait for amazon to deliver, format usb w/ rufus and untangle iso, boot, configure, lose all usbs before next install, rinse and repeat.

Plus, I plan on deploying a few in my city.
    I don't think you've thought this idea through. How often do you actually think you'll need to install/reinstall Untangle?
    I've had a dozen UT routers deployed on PC's for years and I've had maybe 3 hard drives fail which I had to replace, install UT and restore a backup. Seriously UT is the most boring a platform you find...I've had UT routers running without a restart for over a year. Actually, the only interaction by me that's needed is the UT upgrades, and performing such I prefer to be onsite to physically lay hands on the box, because one in a while technology shite happens. Good luck with your endeavor...
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast