Untangler

Question Changing Reports Location

Hi,

Is there a way to change the location of the reports to another drive? Could we mount a drive and store it on that?
    On the OS, the drives are fast and more expensive. It makes sense to dump reports on to a standard drive.

Thanks

No, it is not possible.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Oh dear thats a shame. Can this be added to the feature request list.

To be clear, this action is possible, it's just not supported.

And, not to be rude, but if you don't know how to figure out where the reports are, to move that chunk of data into its own partition, and mount it such that things still work... You don't have the knowledge you need to self support this specific configuration change.

And we're right back to it not being supported.

Furthermore, the only tangible performance benefits Untangle gains from SSD storage, comes from reports being stored on the SSD. Using a stupid fast SSD for the OS, and slower storage for reports is pointless. But you'd also need an insane amount of network traffic pumping through Untangle to overwhelm the drive IO of a single SATA connected SSD. I've had to use RAID arrays to support extremely large Untangle servers, but these systems have multiple 10bit interfaces running at wire speed.

So I'm circling back around and wondering... what are you trying to accomplish? Longer term reports retention without the pittance of a larger SSD? A 500 gb SSD is $70... 1tb is $120. If your budget is below that, I submit its your expectations that are out of line, not the prices on the hardware. You're going to spend more money in time maintaining this than the cost of the storage.

So what are you after? While we cannot help you with what you've asked, that doesn't mean there isn't an answer.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-10-2020 at 08:47 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hi,

Thanks you have some valid points. I did think that also and have actually put SSD in them. It's more SSD for OS and SSD for Reports now.
    Because of the way the servers are configured/offers they by default came with the SSD drives. It was/is easier to add a bigger drive for reports.

How do you set the location of the report to use the additional drives?

I gave you the information I'm willing to share publicly, and I stated why.

If you want more drive space, get a larger disk. That's how that works. If you want to go beyond that, you're on your own.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com