Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Support can't figure it out, maybe someone here can

I have noticed a behavior for several months where if I try to view the active sessions on our NGFW it crashes the UI. On Firefox it totally dies with no explanation, on Chrome it shows JSONRPC Client Exception (593), Message;element 452 errors. Chrome will at least allow me to reload the dashboard when this happens.

I have had a case regarding this open with Untangle support for awhile and they have basically shrugged their shoulders. They said they thought our backup appliance was throwing traffic on the network that was causing the issue. However I disconnected the appliance from the network temporarily and the SESSIONS button showed the same behavior.

I have not gotten any additional answers from support so maybe somebody here has had this happen?

I was hoping to troubleshoot this via SSH connection to the appliance. I temporarily enabled SSH but it will not allow me to log into the appliance. I am using "root" and out admin password but it will not authenticate.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Untangler

Try the easy way next. Back it up, reinstall it and restore it. Hopefully that fixes it.

That would be my suggestion as well, it seems like file level corruption. I'd to a hardware integrity check too... RAM test and HDD test.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That would be my suggestion as well, it seems like file level corruption. I'd to a hardware integrity check too... RAM test and HDD test.
    This is a Z12 appliance, we have two of them. We swap between them periodically. The process has been back up the config, move the wires and restore to the other box.

Ahh... that rules out hardware then.

Well aside from an EXTREMELY unlikely stretch... an intermittent ground on the power source for your devices can cause RAM corruption, and make all sorts of ugly things happen. But were that true, you should be seeing other devices powered from the same source also doing strange things.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Ahh... that rules out hardware then.

Well aside from an EXTREMELY unlikely stretch... an intermittent ground on the power source for your devices can cause RAM corruption, and make all sorts of ugly things happen. But were that true, you should be seeing other devices powered from the same source also doing strange things.
    Yep don't think it's hardware/power, a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by sduffey View Post
    This is a Z12 appliance, we have two of them. We swap between them periodically. The process has been back up the config, move the wires and restore to the other box.
    What version are you running?
    You swap them periodically, but does that include a pave & fresh install?
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    What version are you running?
    You swap them periodically, but does that include a pave & fresh install?
    Currently 15.1.0.20200615T124608.a9d75cc95d-1buster

No we simply restore the back up from the appliance that is currently running and restore it onto the appliance that was not active. If there is a software update that occurred since the last swap we load that update first and then do the restore.

Untangler

By the way I got SSH access. Somewhere else someone mentioned that if you haven't changed your admin password since version 12, it won't work for SSH. We changed it and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by sduffey View Post
    Currently 15.1.0.20200615T124608.a9d75cc95d-1buster

No we simply restore the back up from the appliance that is currently running and restore it onto the appliance that was not active. If there is a software update that occurred since the last swap we load that update first and then do the restore.
    Then you should pave a unit, it sounds like something got mangled along the way.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast