Untanglit

Default Moving Untangle to a different box

Currently, I am running Untangle on an HP Proliant DL380 G5 Server w/8 GB of memory. This type of hardware is costing a lot to run in a home environment. I would like to move Untangle to a Dell Optiplex workstation with the same amount of memory and a SSD drive.
    Is there a guide on how to do this without having much downtime ?

Thanks,
    - filosad

Untangle backup and restore...

Just install the platform and restore it, does it work? Plug swap.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle and the forums!

What he said ^

This is very unlikely to affect whether or or it will work for you (I have done it many times), I believe that the server had at least two Ethernet ports natively.

I expect that the Optiplex has one on the motherboard. Tell us about what else you are doing for NICs?

Untanglit

I installed a 2nd NIC in one of the slots of the workstation so I can have a total of two (2). I just realized that the internal NIC only supports 100mbs, now I have to research a two (2) port NIC that would work in a Dell Optiplex. Also, the other day I attempted to install the Dell Optiplex as the replacement. I went through the installation wizard, and I got an error when attempting to go into bridge mode. It gave an error something to the effect of a NULL pointer. From that point, it just went into a loop. I put back my old server just to get back onto the net. Not sure what the NULL pointer is about. Also, I noticed that you are not able to use the DHCP server in Untangle if it in Bridge mode, correct ?
    Any inside would be helpful....Thanks

The Null Pointer error is usually a browser cache problem.

You need to manually flush your browser cache when you swap Untangles. The browser doesn't have a clue the web server changed, it just sees the same IP address and assumes the same page. When you swap versions, the UI changes substantially and well... errors happen.

No, you cannot use DHCP or DNS if Untangle is in bridge mode. You must have a non-WAN interface that is statically assigned to support those services. That necessitates router "mode".

I put that in quotes because I hate that wizard, Untangle doesn't have "modes", it has configured relationships between interfaces. As such they can be changed anytime. The only thing that step in the first boot process does is configure some default values on Internal.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untanglit

I have a monitor locally attached to the replacement box (Dell Otiplex 780). The default browser is what untangles uses on the local box to configure itself. I am not configuring the box remotely.
    I noticed that I have strange IP's in m DHCP server section. This might have been from a prior misconfiguration. I do not see an option to remove those IP's, is there a way to remove those IP's ?
    As for the replacement box, I think I was configuring the external first, I need to check again.
    Awaiting on my new two (2) port NIC card to resolve the internal NIC being at 100 Mbs. Also, adding another 8 GB into the box.
    Hope this can work as a replacement w/o purchasing an appliance.
    Presently, I have an Ubnt ER Router doing the serving of DHCP/DNS. I thought it would have been a good idea to remove the ER Router and Untangle do the work for DHCP/DNS
    Not to sure if I can do that in my environment.

Even the local browser can have an old cache of Javascript. It is recommended to configure it remotely from the LAN once the initial network configuration is done.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Even the local browser can have an old cache of Javascript. It is recommended to configure it remotely from the LAN once the initial network configuration is done.
    Yeah but that assumes an upgrade, given this is a thread about hardware replacement a cache issue with the local machine seems suspect. I'd be leaning more toward defective RAM, possibly a weak hard disk... or even more basic, a corrupted source download of the installation media.
    NexgenAppliances.com