Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time Sync Locks GUI and doesn't work

Hey all. I've done some searching and found this problem going back a ways, but nothing I can do will fix this issue.

When I go to sync the time in system settings, it just locks up the server.

I just did a fresh install and still no dice.

BIOS is set to the current local time, but when I go into the settings, its fast by a few hours.

Also, perhaps on a similar topic; windows time sync won't work either, even when bypassing UDP port 123.

I apologize if this has a common fix, but I've searched NTP, time, timesync, etc. on the forums and get no results.

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle and the Forums!

What version of NGFW are you running?

This is not a common problem, and NGFW won't prevent Windows from connecting to Microsoft; by default anyway.

What does your WAN connection consist of?
    And what is the hardware you are running on?
    If it is old enough, you might need to replace the CMOS battery.

BIOS time only matters on first install and boot. I suspect the "GUI Lock" is actually the certificate is not valid with time sync and causing browser disconnect. Try http instead (LAN side) and refresh the browser after clicking sync. BTW, sync process (not clicking on sync) will only adjust time a specific amount each 5 mins until it is sync'ed with the correct time.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Appreciate the help.

I am running a Protectli FW2B bought it a few months ago. I've been running Untangle for a few months with no issues.

I'm on the latest version of Untangle. Fresh install last night to attempt to fix-did not.

WAN is PPPOE.

I tried the HTTP method in another browser, GUI is locked up and SSH will not respond in Putty. Internet is still functional.

I think there may be more going on; when logging on today I had some notifications that said there were disk write errors. Might have to call the manufacturer/seller :/

Any other ideas?

If there are disk errors, it needs to be replaced before going forward with any other troubleshooting.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    If there are disk errors, it needs to be replaced before going forward with any other troubleshooting.
    Update: I reinstalled untangle again AFTER I ran a live distro and did extensive error checking. The SSD came out with flying colors. Automatic timsync on Untangle still locks gui, both in HTTPS and HTTP.

I also did a brand new fresh install of one of my window's machines to see if I had a configuration issue causing NTP sync to fail. No change. So far, 2 Windows pro desktops, a windows pro laptop. I don't see any issues with any of my linux headless servers. I do see the session handshake start on the SESSONS tab in Untangle (UDP 123) but it fails to complete on windows.

Bad RAM can manifest as a bad disk on Linux.

Sadly, you're not done testing yet.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Wasn't aware of that. I will do a full memory test tonight. I greatly appreciate your help.

Do you have a suggested memtest route? Only familiar with the built in memtester command with Debian.
    Last edited by ssjaken; 08-03-2020 at 10:29 AM.

I use this: https://www.memtest.org/

It's not perfect, but it's usually good enough. As far as I know memtester is built on the same code, just as a userland utility instead of a packaged OS. But, when you can't install stuff without breaking support, it's handy to be able to boot to a dedicated OS and let it rip.

And just in case it wasn't clear, I have hundreds of Windows systems behind Untangles on various hardware platforms all syncing time just fine. And there are many thousand more that I don't support doing the same right now. There isn't anything in Untangle that I'm aware of that can cause the symptoms you're describing. However, the warnings you received about bad hard disk, indicates the only possibility... defective platform.

I don't know if it's your RAM, your SSD, or the SATA Bus that SSD is attached to, but one of those three components is defective, regardless of what your test results report. Good luck finding it.

Also full disclosure, I'm not certain your time sync issue is connected with the bad block errors you reported from the Untangle. So fixing your Untangle may or may not resolve your time issue. Inexplicable events are usually better explained as two or three competing issues after all.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I appreciate it. When I get home tonight I will tear the thing apart and do some testing. Just a bizarre set of things all happening at once has me bummed out.

Couple questions; would any of the apps cause this blocking? I don't see any reports in Web Filter, Virus Blocker, Application Control, Firewall blocking anything on port 123.

Second; is there any static addressing things I could be doing to mess this up? I am using the Untangle router as my DNS server and am getting the feeds from 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1

Honestly, I think at this point its either borked hardware or I am doing something stupid on me end.

I apologize for the potential waste of time, and am grateful for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast