Untanglit

Default Trying to get my Killer Wifi Card to Run but ran into Debian Issues - Please Help

Need to Run the Following Command to get the Latest Killer Wifi Card to work on my Ubuntu Hardware

So I need to run these commands
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-hwe-team/backport-iwlwifi
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install backport-iwlwifi-dkms
    $ reboot

When I run this command
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-hwe-team/backport-iwlwifi

I get a
    add-apt-repository: command not found

So I run a
    sudo apt-get update

and I also run a
    sudo apt-get install software-properties-common

I get a
    unable to locate package software-properties-common

So I am Stuck here right now

Can Someone please kindly help out here

Thank you for your time

Untangle Ninja

Welcome to the bleeding edge. What card? Untangle is mostly debian not ubuntu. Did you try the 16.0 RC? Look for instructions on how to use it on debian. If you find them it will make your install unsupported. Things may well break if an upgrade happens. Back up and be ready for failure. If I was trying to do this I would not add repositories etc. Use wget to get the packages and dependencies. I would use.
    Code:
    dpkg -i package.deb
    If you are lucky it may work. Be prepared for failure.

Good Luck

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Welcome to the bleeding edge. What card? Untangle is mostly debian not ubuntu. Did you try the 16.0 RC? Look for instructions on how to use it on debian. If you find them it will make your install unsupported. Things may well break if an upgrade happens. Back up and be ready for failure. If I was trying to do this I would not add repositories etc. Use wget to get the packages and dependencies. I would use.
    Code:
    dpkg -i package.deb
    If you are lucky it may work. Be prepared for failure.

Good Luck
    Thank you for the reply

Before I Install anything When I run this command I get these results

sudo apt-get install backport-iwlwifi-dkms
    backport-iwlwifi-dkms is already the newest version (8613-0ubuntu1)

dpkg -l | grep iwlwifi
    ii backport-iwlwifi-dkms 8613-0ubuntu1 all iwlwifi driver backport in DKMS format
    ii firmware-iwlwifi 2019114-2 all Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards

And My Wifi Card is this one

Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 Module

Can anyone please help me out

Thank You Sir

Untangle Ninja

Re install and start from scratch. Don't add any other repos or use apt. Find the packages and dependencies with google and use wget to download them. Then use dpkg to install them.

Is this a laptop?
    Last edited by donhwyo; 09-24-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Re install and start from scratch. Don't add any other repos or use apt. Find the packages and dependencies with google and use wget to download them. Then use dpkg to install them.

Is this a laptop?
    Dear Sir,

This is the Firewall hardware

https://www.advantech.com/products/1...2-d6c0cf79db84

The Wifi Card is a KillerTm Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 Card

I know that this Wifi Card works in the above hardware because I have installed win 10 on this hardware and also the wifi card drivers

The Killer M.2 Card works from within Win 10 without any issues

However when I wiped out windows and replace it with untangle ... I cannot get the wifi card to work

Incidentally I found out that the latest backport-iwlwifi-dkms drivers are already installed onto the untangle installation

just that for some reason it is not called and run at bootup

May I please kindly ask what are the commands to do a package search for dependencies with wget ?

I am a Linux Newbie

I am very sorry for all the inconveniences caused

I thank you very much for your time and kind help Sir

Kind Regards as always

You're not going to get it to work, and if you do manage to get the kernel modules installed you're probably going to find out the hard way the card doesn't support operating as an access point.

Buy a WAP, save your time and brain cells. This will be entirely too much work for subpar wifi performance at best.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Looks interesting but Sky is most likely right. For your learning experience exercise.
    In windows install putty so you can ssh into the box.
    ssh to the box and login with user "root" and your web interface password.
    type
    Code:
    lspci
    You will see a list of hardware. You should see the wifi card and a description.
    In windows.
    Search for debian buster and the description. Not ubuntu or whatever. If they say sudo some command, you are root so you don't need sudo. Don't install any other repos. If it says install xyz.deb search for "debian xyz.deb". You should find something from "Debian -- Details of package "your package" in buster packages.debian.org ". This will also list dependencies. You can use "dpkg -l |grep some package" to see if the dependency is installed. If will return the version if it is installed. If not repeat the search for the dependency. This could go on for a while. Save the link to the packages in a text file.
    Then in ssh. "wget pathto.deb" pathto is the path from above. https://bla/bla/something.deb When you get them all downloaded, install them with "dpkg -i *.deb" If you get "dependency not met" or such, repeat above. Once you get all installed, cross your fingers and reboot.
    Hope it works. If not maybe you learned a little linux.
    Good luck