Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Default Replacing old homebuilt with new z4.

Credit to Untangle it's been a long time since I've had to diddle with one of my installs.

I wanted to Restore the config from the old box I'm replacing to the new z4 box I bought.

If I'm on the network with the old box do I need to put the z4 into bridge mode to restore it, I know there'll be an ip confilct but I can just unplug it from the lan when it's done or about done with the restore? I'm concerned with applying a router restore to a device set to bridge... it makes me fearful.

Or... is there an automagic in the command center that lets me put in the z4 box's "id" and pre set the desired restore file and when I plug the box into the modem... nah, that'd be too easy huh?

Untangler

I am far from an untangle expert. Others may have better advice.

I've done this a couple of times recently. When I do, I put the new firewall downstream of the old firewall. Then I go to command center and restore the old backup to the new machine. After that I swap out the hardware and transfer the license.

I've always done this by hand... I connect External to the Internet from behind whatever is online right now... use the physical console to get the box up enough to update if needed. Once the unit has what I need, I unplug it from the network, and hook my laptop in behind it with the configuration backup on it. Restore...

Now I have two identically configured Untnagles, I can check everything on the new unit and if I'm happy with the results I move the wires off the old to the new. Assuming all is good now, I add the UID to my untangle account and transfer the subscription.

And don't get caught up in router vs bridge, it's just relationships between interface. The restore process will set the configuration as it needs to. But yes you'll want it unplugged from everything but the laptop with the backup file on it while you're restoring, just in case. That way your old stuff stays online and happy until you're ready. And you're never but a plug swap and cable modem restart away from working.
    sperman likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Oh MY Goodness, the interface management, Arrrrrrrrrgh.

Drag and drop is hard?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

It is when when what you set isn't what you get.

eth8 is the restored, addressed, fixed ip, is wan interface, virtual,
    eth0 is physically connected, the mac on both of them is different
    no matter how I drag them around I can't get them to switch the way I set and the drop down device selector doesn't do anything

Untangle Ninja

and why did it completely skip eth4 and start with eth5?

oh.... because the original box it's restored from are 5-8.

Untangle Ninja

I'm waiting and waiting for support to respond but near as I can tell while the restore will import interface settings you have to manually copy those settings over to the existing physical interfaces and delete the virtual, restore created interfaces, that's disappointing, makes me wonder what other time bombs I'm going to discover down the road in the overall config restore.

Yeah that's not how restores work... on restore it picks a NIC to put them on. You shouldn't be seeing ghost interfaces.

And you can drag and drop in the interface remap button.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

In my experience, the reason why it's possible to not restore the network settings is to avoid so called time bombs. Restoring to the same hardware, such as with a clean install? Restore network settings. Restoring to different hardware for whatever reason? Don't restore network settings. Instead, build on the fresh network configuration started during setup. It's not as much fun to not restore network settings since that requires knowing how things were previously configured under Config, but that's the best possible deal long term, in my opinion.
    fasttech likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast