Default PPPoe Not connecting - Centurylink Fiber (works with pfsense)

I am attempting to move over from pfsense to Untangle. My ISP is Centurylink Fiber. My old setup used their modem in bridge mode and I just plugged the PPPoe login into pfsense and it worked. With Untangle I get an error at the port assignment part of the setup saying DNS worked but no internet connection. I went ahead and skipped past it and tried to reenter the login from the UI after full setup. No connection. I am on the same hardware. I reset all the ISP equipment. When I toss the pfsense SSD back in and boot that up, works just fine. So, I am pretty sure it is not a hardware fault. Any ideas would be great. Google only found really old posts on this from 10 years ago.

Talking Welcome

...to Untangle, and the forums!

I am not familiar with CenturyLink fiber.

In fact, I am jealous.

PPOE is not something I have had to deal with much either, but someone else is likely to pop-up here that can help.

Does CL require VLAN tagging?
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 11-21-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    ...to Untangle, and the forums!

I am not familiar with CenturyLink fiber.

In fact, I am jealous.

PPOE is not something I have had to deal with much either, but someone else is likely to pop-up here that can help.

Does CL require VLAN tagging?
    Thanks for the welcome.

No VLAN tag is needed. At least I did not have to set it up that way on pfsense. I just set the WAN to PPPoe and entered my user and password info. Connected right up, no issues. I tried to ditch the CL box at one point, you are supposed to need the VLN tag for that. But, when I called to get it nobody understood what I was asking for. Even after being bumped up a couple levels in tech support. Kinda sad really. So, I just left their hardware in bridge mode and left it. Been running like that for about three years now.

Really want to try untangle, but need to sort this issue out. Really looking forward some of the filtering features. Pfsesne is lacking in that department.

OK, next thought is that some ISPs provision the modem with a specific MAC address on user-provided equipment.

I think cycling power to the modem, then pushing the [Renew DHCP Lease] button on the External Interface edit screen should do it, but you might need customer support to convince the thing.

Hmm... Well, there is no renew DHCP when external is set to PPPOE. Just the login fields. I tried it in DHCP mode and it just times out. I will call tech support and see if I can get bumped up a level or two and talk to some one that actually know what I am talking about. I know the user is right, what I have written down matches the field in pfsense. But the password is masked in pfsense. So, I am assuming what is written down from several years ago is correct. Maybe it is not.

As for MAC address, it should be the same since it is the same hardware, correct? I have not done anything to spoof it on Untalgle or pfsense so it should just be what the hardware reports. So, that should not matter. Unless I am missing something. In any case, I have reset the modem and ONT a couple times each in an attempt to fix all this.

Just got off the phone with CL. All they can see on their end is the service going down and that is it. Confirmed login into. So, seems to be an Untangle issue.
    Last edited by Prophet4NO1; 11-22-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Well, I got it working. I took the tried and true "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" approach. Wiped the SSD and reinstalled. Now it works fine. No clue what the problem was. I took the link about the password and found the file. It was correct in there. Something was messed up though. Taking advantage of the trial period to test out apps now. Gonna let it roll for a couple of days and see what things look like. But all is good so far.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untanglit

I have CLink hand you have to do VLAN tag 201 in my market. So disable you external connection. Create a vlan and bind it to the external network adapter. This will become your WAN. So select wan, enter your credentials and configure your dhcp. Remember to click save, wait about a minute and then click refresh and you should have dhcp.

Hope that works for you

I have century link as well. My fiber modem is connected to my ASUS router on the WAN port (fiber router port 1 and ASUS router WAN port) and CenLnk tech support had me put in a vlan id 201 in the IPTV section.