Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile New Install - Having Trouble with Google Assistant

All - I just moved from sophos to Untangle and so far, extremely happy. Sophos UI just always seemed to have the things I needed buried and in unintuitive places. The UI was also SO sluggish. Untangle for my needs and skill level is the no contest winner.

So onto the issues with my install. I have 8 Google Assistant smart display throughout the house. I have another 7 chromecasts spread around. Chromecasts work fine, maybe a little more buffering than before, but I haven't explored any optimizations yet. The Google Assistants however will not connect to the network. If I move back to my old sophos solution they work.

I have tried disabling ALL apps, and tat did not help. I assume it must be some core configuration that I don't understand or did incorrectly. Could anyone help me to diagnose and resolve the issue? I was very surprised not to see the issue in any of my forum searches...seems like it would be common amoungst the home use crowd.

Thank in advance!

Nik

That seems like a wireless integration issue, we're going to need some more detail on how your WAPs are configured.

A map of the network, however crude would be helpful too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That seems like a wireless integration issue, we're going to need some more detail on how your WAPs are configured.

A map of the network, however crude would be helpful too.
    Hi Rob, thank you for responding. I am running Aerohive AP650s in a mesh config into Aerohive SR2124p 2 managed switches. That said, wouldn't it rule out AP configuration if the assistants work when I move back to the sophos appliance?

Not necessarily, because that's a managed configuration with its own directives. For all I know your Untangle isn't configured to match your Sophos on what I assume is layer 3? Especially that SR2124P, which has among other things many access control features of its own. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you're working with.

Also, you say Google Assistant, but that can mean just about anything from thermostats to light bulbs these days! Are those devices even getting IP addresses? I assume Untangle is responsible for doing such? Are they on VLANs?

*Edit* I see we cross posted... interesting. Nothing obvious from this... Is everything on that 192.168.1.0/24 network?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Not necessarily, because that's a managed configuration with its own directives. For all I know your Untangle isn't configured to match your Sophos on what I assume is layer 3? Especially that SR2124P, which has among other things many access control features of its own. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you're working with.

Also, you say Google Assistant, but that can mean just about anything from thermostats to light bulbs these days! Are those devices even getting IP addresses? I assume Untangle is responsible for doing such? Are they on VLANs?
    Rob - Understood....right now the LAN is very simple, no VLANs and the switches are essentially at factory default with everything workng as intended until my move to untangle. Eventually I will configure 3 VLANs, but not until I have everything working. Family calls for my head when the network goes down, so everything in baby steps for me and trying not to introduce too many variables at once since I'm trying to learn here and the stakes are high!

The devices are JBL Link View -- Google Assistant Smart Displays. Not getting IPs (but like I said, my chromecasts are getting IPs)
    A few more notes here on the Google Assistants (GA). I have factory reset them, reconfigured, tried in different locations. All the basic stuff.

Yes, untangle is configured as the DHCP server, using 'Peer DNS' on WAN connections.

Yeah that's just bonkers... unless the JBL devices are insisting on seeing the same MAC address?

Untangle's DHCP has to be working, or else other things wouldn't be working. Wifi must be online and getting to that DHCP server because of the same. DHCP services on Untangle, like all other services on Untangle itself are actually immune to the filtration technology Untangle employs, only network sessions that transit the server are scanned. It will never scan stuff impacting on Untangle itself!

So now we're down to using TCPDump on Untangle to see if Untangle is even getting the DHCP requests. Sadly, I just tried this on my Untangle v16.1.1 install here, and the troubleshooting tab's advanced packet test isn't working for me. -vnes0 -i eth1 portrange 67-68 in the argument's box should be showing me DHCP requests, but I'm not getting anything. Meanwhile, when I SSH into untangle and run tcpdump -vnes0 -i eth1 portrange 67-68 it works just fine!

But for your purposes you'll probably want to go the SSH route anyway, you can watch the DHCP requests come in and be answered until you ctrl-c it and stop instead of trying to catch stuff in a 2 min window.

I suspect the devices aren't even trying to get to the DHCP service for some reason. You might have to reboot the waps after you swap?

Anyway, to get at SSH first you'll need to enable it. And you'll need a custom access rule to do it! Those are in config -> network -> advanced -> access rules.

There is an allow SSH rule there, but DO NOT ENABLE IT. It lets in SSH from EVERYWHERE.

So make your own rule, protocol TCP, destination port 22, source interface any-non-wan That will limit SSH access to your local networks! Then you can use putty or whatever your SSH tool of choice is to connect to Untangle's LAN IP address, login root, and password is whatever you configured your webUI admin password to be.

Once there, run the above command and reboot one of the errant devices, see if it pops up.

Once more a clean TCP dump command to see all DHCP on eth1 (default Internal Interface) You'll want to confirm that eth1 is indeed internal first, it's in the device column in config -> network -> interfaces.
    Code:
    tcpdump -vnes0 -i eth1 portrange 67-68
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-30-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Got it, I'm on it. Will post back results in a bit.

No luck, tcpdump doesn't seem to show any traffic from a device that I would guess is a google device on eth0 (internal in my implementation). Throwing in the towel for tonight, will get back at it sometime tomorrow.

Do you think it would be worth trying to do a fresh untangle install? I ask because...if this was widespread I would imagine I'd be seeing all sorts of posts about google devices not working. The fact that I don't see that makes me suspicious about my issues.

I would be curious to know any more troubleshooting steps. Do chromecasts use tcp port 53, 8008, 8009?

They use a great many ports, but all of them come after DHCP. If you aren't getting DHCP requests from the devices as they start, something is preventing layer 2 from establishing a connection. That's a WAP / Switching issue generally, but I'm not familiar enough with the Aerohive gear to offer any suggestions as to what to look for. Nor can I explain why your Sophos works when Untangle doesn't.

You're going to have to plug in devices sequentially as you move away from Untangle and try to find where the connectivity is breaking down. But again, with DHCP not showing activity on your internal interface I'm left to assume the issue is somewhere in the Aerohives.

I'm also a little concerned about ETH0 being internal, that's certainly not default and I'm assuming you actively changed that?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast