Untanglit

Default New Install Issues

I downloaded the 16.1 ISO and was going through the install and I have a standard UEFI recent server that I've been using for other products (PFSense/OPN/IPFire) and I was going through and retesting Untangled again but after burning the USB stick to install, no matter what I did, it always shows the USB stick as /dev/sda for the install which always breaks the GRUB piece at the end.

The other ones are UEFI based as well and didn't seem to have the same problems even the Debian based ones. I was trying to figure out if I am doing something incorrect or there was a recommended way to address that issue?

I managed to get everything installed now with a lot of manual Linux work to get the boot loader going and fixing the fstab which had some items pointing to /dev/sdb after the install since it saw my hard disk as that.

The strange part is that it did report SCSI6 as /dev/sda which was the USB flashstick and the hard drive was SCSI01 as /dev/sdb.

I did try turning off UEFI and the same issue occurred so doesn't seem to be related to that but something specific on the ISO (or maybe how I was burning it as I was tried Win32DiskImager and a bunch of formats from Rufus as well.

Untanglit

Any help here as I'd like to get a clean install?

I retried with 16.2 and the same issue occurs on my gaming computer, laptop, router and every machine in my house I can try to boot this on as the USB comes up as /dev/sda making the actual install impossible to do without hacking it.

Untangle Ninja

Are there any options in what ever bios is called these days? Try a support ticket?

Untangle requires the install drive to be /dev/sba. I would see if you can change the boot order in bios.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Boot order doesn't matter as the USB flash comes up as /dev/sda.

On the same piece of hardware (same USB stick in fact), I have installed OPNsense/pfSense/ipFire/Sophas UTM/Ubuntu 20.04/Debian 10 so I am using the same process/tool to burn the USB stick.

Even when I see the screenshot, it shows the USB stick as SCSI6 and my SSD is SCSI1 so something odd is going on and very particular to the ISO here.

If there is a particular setting in the BIOS or anything else you'd like me to share, I'm happy to provide.

It's common Intel Hardware and nothing unique:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 510 (rev 06)
    00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Skylake Gaussian Mixture Model
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
    00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Thermal subsystem (rev 31)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #1 (rev 31)
    00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H KT Redirection (rev 31)
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev f1)
    00:1e.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Serial IO UART #0 (rev 31)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)
    00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM (rev 31)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...e_Installation

You need to do an expert mode installation, I don't bother with anything else anymore. I have yet to have an EFI install actually work that wasn't manually partitioned. Untangle works fine if installation drive isn't /dev/sda, but it must be mapped as such after install itself. Which typically is how things wind up thanks to Debian's installer.

Now here's the weird part... Untangle's preseed file is set to simply select guided use entire disk at the partitioning step. Expert mode you have to do that yourself... and it works. But normal mode that does it for you, it doesn't. I have no idea why, because it's the EXACT SAME PROCESS.

It's something crazy in the Debian installer that Untangle inherited. Regardless, just use expert mode on install so you have control over the partitioning and this issue goes away.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

That moves a bit closer, but the problem still remains as Untangled seems to be 'stuck' to /dev/sda in it's configuration.

Expert allows to format/install on another disk.

grub-install still fails as it tries to write to /dev/sda.
    The /etc/fstab still has a swap entry for /dev/sda which renders it not bootable without fixing it manually.

grub-install doesn't work without some changes as it's looking for a modinfo.sh file that isn't present.

Code:
    grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist.   Please specify --target or --directory
    The issue is very specific to how the ISO is built as the stock debian 10 installer has no issue on the same hardware.

Expert was good enough for me though as I was able to update the /etc/fstab before it booted and run a grub-install with the right parameters.

The reason I share the feedback as I'm good enough with Linux to be able to fix the issue but a 'regular' user would have no hope installing it and it's actually a very nice product overall.
    donhwyo likes this.