Untangler

Default Migrating from Bridged to Router mode

Hi,

I've used UT for years in bridge mode and am going to retire the edge router and use UT exclusively. I have a 2nd box with UT installed on it as the target (router) version.

Is there a way to port configurations from specific apps to the new box? In particular I'd like to port the Firewall rules in mass.

Another minor issue is at least temporarily I need to access the admin UI on the new box through the WAN interface. Right now it is blocking me from doing so. There a setting somewhere that enables that?

Thanks!

--Ben

Do you want to use new hardware? Because the only thing you have to do is reconfigure Internal to match the old router, and configure it to handle DHCP and DNS correctly.

There is no "mode", it's just a relationship between interfaces.

So yeah, you can restore a backup of your current configuration to new hardware and reconfigure it there if you wish too. But unless you're wanting to upgrade your hardware along with this change... this isn't a traumatic event, it's a minor configuration change and click save.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hi Rob,

Sigh. I wish it were that simple. I also need to convert the 120 pass-through (port forwarding) statements from the old router to Untangle, convert the filters it has to UT, and also pull across the configuration I had in the current UT box to the new one.

Am also upgrading the hardware, going to a more powerful cpu and a m/b that has 4 ports rather than 2. The current UT also has other tweaks I've made over time.

So this conversion won't be as simple as I wish it might otherwise be.

That's why I was hoping to save off pieces of it and import those.

I might be able to do some of that with some copy/paste operations but can't seem to get the UI to come up on the WAN side of the new box.

--Ben

Untangler

Ok, while I can't reach the UI from the WAN side on the new test box, I was able to reach the production UT box from the (Firefox) client on the new UT instance. From there I copied the filters list, OpenVPN client list, etc. to the new box. That saved a boatload of time.

Will go through the docs on setting up port/nat forwarding and see if I can tackle that.

Thanks!

--Ben

There is an access rule for HTTPs admin on WANs, if you enable that during configuration you'll be able to access the new Untangle from it's External interface.

From there, you'll want to restore your current untangle to it, but on the restore page, hit the drop down and select "without networking". That skips all the stuff in config -> networking, which you're going to be doing by hand anyway.

That will leave your new router configuration intact, but transfer all of the Untangle App settings over for you, as well as give you the ability to manage it from where you're sitting to build all your rules.

Just don't forget to disable HTTPs on WAN before you move into production!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hi Rob,

Cool! That's a neat feature. I'll give that a shot.

--Ben