Default Cannot communicate with new devices after initial setup

I've given up for the night but here goes.

Existing network is ISP Modem - Router(WIFI) - Router(wired only)

Plan to have the Untangle be the internet facing router, the wifi go to AP mode, and the wired router to bridge or double up like is working now.

Put untangle ISP modem link to link 1, connected link 2 to PC per setup. Logged into Untangle and did initial setup and update process. Setup as router. PC has connectivity to internet not apparent issues.

Add second router to link 3. Comm lights light up. But no connection. Untangle doesn't see it in DHCP table. Interface section says the link is not being used.

Swap PC to routers. No connection to untangle. Place it in bridge/AP only mode. Back to untangle, nothing.

Rerun untangle wizard and only during that does the link 3 show active in interfaces.

Add WIFI router in AP mode to link 4, no communication. Comm lights at cable interfaces are active.

I've even tried placing the PC into link 3 and 4 and no communication. Place both routers in Link 2. They don't pull a IP from the untangle DHCP server, but the PC will just fine.

It's very late so I'm missing something dead simple or I just don't know at this point.

Any help appreciated.

Master Untangler

I think you are overcomplicating things. Why would you need a second router in bridge mode. Is there something specific you are trying to acomplish there?
    Go simple first and build from there: ISP modem (in bridge mode) >> Untangle >> "smart" switch >> router in AP mode (WiFi AP), other devices ..... If you would like to make use of your wired router use it as switch only.
    But again, what are you trying to acomplish with your network? Is it for home use? Segmentation? ?????

Quote Originally Posted by soldier View Post
    But again, what are you trying to acomplish with your network? Is it for home use? Segmentation? ?????
    Untangle as firewall/router, then wired router (need the extra ports - its a DLink DSR250 if that matters, already running 3 VLANs for segmentation and serving DHCP). Don't care if it runs DHCP or if it just acts as a slightly smart switch.

Problem is I cannot get the Untangle (Z4 appliance btw) to communicate with anything other than a PC during direct setup or via remote access via ironically the DSR acting as router/edge appliance.

I want to do ISP-Untangle-DSR-MeshWifi AP

Take the Untangle out of that route and everything works fine. Place the Untangle on the DSR port and the Untangle pulls and IP and is remote accessable..

Im about to go back to an unmanaged switch just to see if the untangle will talk with it.

Master Untangler

As you probably know Untangle can do vLANs, DHCP and much more. I don't know DSR250 but I can guess your problem is in that device.
    Try to remove DSR250 from the equation for now and start with unmanaged switch connected to one of the LAN ports on Z4. Can you post some screenshots of your Config > Network > Interfaces (edit interface). Just want to check if WAN and LAN ports are configured correctly so we can start the basics from there.

Untangler

You might look at openwrt and see if your dsr device is supported. It will give you lots more options if it is.

Take a little bit of forgot that internal interface had no dhcp active (wanted the Dlink to serve DHCP initially) and combine with the Dlink having selectable WAN/LAN ports, add in frustration from having to do this late at night, because god help the wifi be down when anyone but me is awake in the house and you get windows telling you DNS isn't work (well duh you swaped the cable to the untangle that isn't serving DHCP to it) and you've got a lot of communications issues.

Now with the UT box I think I'll ditch the DLink and get a layer 2 managed switch. The DLink is just ungodly slow to manage, especially with all the security features turned on, which is why I turned to a UT Z4 in the first place, and didn't get much faster turning all that off when the UT took over.

Thanks for the replies made me slow down and start with the basics.
    Last edited by fatman13; 02-27-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Master Untangler

I'm glad you sort things out