Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Dell 7910 Workstation

So Ive had pfsense, windows, redhat, centos you name it on this machine, UEFI/Legacy, they all work, but for some reason untangle, installs but always "No boot device found", regardless of legacy, uefi or USB/DVD install whatever

I tested with the Megaraid Controller, same in both uefi and legacy, testing with the onboard SAS, same result (raid and none raid), also the IDE port in both SATA and ACHI, legacy/uefi, you name it

I see the two boot options for untangle and debian, but no matter what i select, no grub boot notta

As I said, pfsense works either way, centos did, debian straight does, windows, whatever else, but in this case always no boot device found, whats the solution as I know someone has run into it (as an fyi I have a t640 i tested on as well, same thing, no matter the mode, uefi, legacy with legacy only uefi only, it always says no boot device found).

Untangler

Did you try text mode or what ever non graphical is called?

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by techiedude View Post
    So Ive had pfsense, windows, redhat, centos you name it on this machine, UEFI/Legacy, they all work, but for some reason untangle, installs but always "No boot device found", regardless of legacy, uefi or USB/DVD install whatever

I tested with the Megaraid Controller, same in both uefi and legacy, testing with the onboard SAS, same result (raid and none raid), also the IDE port in both SATA and ACHI, legacy/uefi, you name it

I see the two boot options for untangle and debian, but no matter what i select, no grub boot notta

As I said, pfsense works either way, centos did, debian straight does, windows, whatever else, but in this case always no boot device found, whats the solution as I know someone has run into it (as an fyi I have a t640 i tested on as well, same thing, no matter the mode, uefi, legacy with legacy only uefi only, it always says no boot device found).
    In the past on Dell computers I have found that if I clean the hard disk first so that it has no existing partition information then Untangle will install and boot.
    I just boot up with a Windows 10 Install USB and go into the repair option, then command prompt, run diskpart and clean the disk, shut down and then do the Untangle install from USB.
    If I try to install with existing partitions it will fail or even if it completes the install it will fail to boot. I use the text mode install choice. Other times with existing partitions, when it gets to the partition setup and fails, I have had to go manually go back one step and tell it to use the whole disk so it can partition it properly.
    Last edited by djrees; 03-13-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Did you try text mode or what ever non graphical is called?
    Did that no avail

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by djrees View Post
    In the past on Dell computers I have found that if I clean the hard disk first so that it has no existing partition information then Untangle will install and boot.
    I just boot up with a Windows 10 Install USB and go into the repair option, then command prompt, run diskpart and clean the disk, shut down and then do the Untangle install from USB.
    If I try to install with existing partitions it will fail or even if it completes the install it will fail to boot. I use the text mode install choice. Other times with existing partitions, when it gets to the partition setup and fails, I have had to go manually go back one step and tell it to use the whole disk so it can partition it properly.
    So Ive already reset bios to remove all prior entries for boots in uefi mode, made sure keys and everything were deleted, hard drives well I just blow away the raids, load the windows 10 installer and made sure they're all partitioned spaces which they are/

Untangler

Negative, even downgraded firmware, one hard drive just straight on sata 0, no matter what I get no grub menus

Untangler

I would boot a debian live cd and install grub.

I've ran into this too on some hardware, and for some reason the expert mode installer works. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why it makes a difference when I'm selecting the options that the default installer just does for me.

https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...e_Installation

I rarely edit the actual installation media, I just press e at the boot prompt and replace the two instances of "default" with "expert".
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I've ran into this too on some hardware, and for some reason the expert mode installer works. And for the life of me I cannot figure out why it makes a difference when I'm selecting the options that the default installer just does for me.

I rarely edit the actual installation media, I just press e at the boot prompt and replace the two instances of "default" with "expert".
    I got it by using a custom USB boot

I could t edit the line, whenever I tried it would just redo the line in some weird fashion

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

second i hit back arrow key the entire screen starts repeating the lines, then i hit space and it puts a letter back in the line, its really odd, but the usb workaround is fine for now and Ill return to that later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast