Untanglit

Default Strange upgrade and clean install problem when trying from 15.0.0.2020021 to 16.2.2

I have a stable installation with the following details running for past 1+ year or so.

Build: 15.0.0.20200214T135223.f954c19e05-1stretch
    Kernel: 4.9.0-11-untangle-amd64

I did try using the inline (on the fly)upgrade of the current instance to the latest version, however multiple retries failed and after upgrade , it keeps getting stuck on the startup screen and never finished the boot up.

My current home network topology (just for information) is as follows, where untangle is placed as an inline UTM in the bridge mode.

Secondly I tried doing a fresh install of 16.2.2 on the very "exact" same hardware. However due to reasons beyond my very basic and limited technical understanding, it is not detecting an active /connected state of the same internal and external network cards I have. I have tried re-plugging the cable and reseating the cards, however to no avail. It does detect them as devices (Broadcom and RealTek) however it doesn't gets the connected state, even while during installation both are in active connection (hence the internet connectivity on the LAN was suspended for all that time).

I intended to do the same configuration to the new installation, that was giving a manual static IP from my LAN IP range to the external interface (which the internal interface would inherit since both are in bridged mode). However setting it manually doesn't really remedy the situation

Reverting back to my old installation which works again as soon as I snap in the HDD (restored from a disk imaged snapshot taken before upgrade).

Hoping to get some support and clues here to proceed to use the newest version.

Thanks for your advice and guidance.
    Last edited by MindVentures; 04-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Most likely is the new Untangle >= 16.0 is based on Debian Buster (v10.0) is not compatible with your hardware. A test would be to try installing Debian Buster.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

What NICs?

If they are 10/100 NICs you're in for a bad time because Debian has been dropping drivers for them. You need gigabit NICs now.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    What NICs?

If they are 10/100 NICs you're in for a bad time because Debian has been dropping drivers for them. You need gigabit NICs now.
    Well its old , but aint that old , I have gigabit NICs working fine with the current version.

Clipboard Image (1).jpg

For the other suggestion regarding debian buster , I would give it a shot.

But the behaviour is sporadic, in my 2-3 retries of doing a fresh install for 16.x.x , for one time the NICs got detected but the internal one remained disabled and wasnt getting bridged with the external one having the IP address. The other two times they were detected.

Was looking to hear from anyone who has faced a similar situation. Else i guess I would look to dismantle and do a cleaning of the hardware, since the UTM was running on a mini old thin-ish headless client tucked on a shelf in open dusty environment, so maybe some of those conductive particles are causing erratic result, strange though that it works fine with v15.x.x.

This sounds like a mainboard issue, and possibly related to this: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInter...NG_.LINK_FILES
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

So was able to partially nail down - at least I think so - the problem I am having.

I did a couple of fresh installations on my unit to verify the behavior for the following versions.

15.1.0 ( starting from 15.1 the underlying Debian OS upgraded from Stretch to Buster (Debian 10). This includes a new kernel 4.19 )

My current machine is an old semi-thin client Dell Optiplex FX-160 which has been serving me faithfully for 5+ years and more than enough for my home needs.

It has the following built-in NIC

Clipboard Image.jpg

To enable to second NIC up until now I was using the mini PCIE port with the following half height gigabit ethernet NIC having RTL8168C chipset.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ether...8139747&sr=8-3

Clipboard Image (1).jpg

With the above hardware, a fresh install for 15.0.0 (my current version) detects both NICs and continues to perform well in bridge mode (has been doing it for years).

However when i perform a fresh install of v15.1.0 (Debian Buster) and above, the internal Broadcom NIC gets detected correctly , however the addon Realtek mini pcie is getting a hit or miss behavior. Only once it got detected and link status was shown, however other times it is getting detected during install and MAC address is shown, however the link status is not updated even when the active ethernet wire to router is plugged in.

So can anyone guide me how to remedy the issue, if there is some driver incompatibility which needs to be addressed.

In case I need to replace my additional PCIE mini half height NIC , i was looking at the following options. Can anyone who has experience or can verify the chipset compatibility, guide me as to which is the one I should go for.

1. http://www.lr-link.com/products/LRES2201PT.html (Intel(R) 82574)

2. https://www.newegg.com/p/0ZK-08UH-0SCH7# ( Intel I210AT)

Even if there is a workaround to make the current RealTek card work in Untangle, I would still appreciate if you can recommend from the two new NIC cards I have mentioned, just trying to replace anyways to make the installation more future proof.

The other route i am thinking of taking is to look for used Untangle appliance (maybe u50).

1. Can it be installed with the latest v. 16.x.x and would be supported for next 5+ years or so.
    2. Is u50 gigabit ethernet enabled.
    3. Can I upgrade the RAM (is it the DDR 2 or 3 and desktop or laptop size - DIMM or SDRAM) and HDD (with an SSD is it a normal SATA) in the u50 appliance. What is the general view of it.
    4. Would I get any lifetime subscription of some modules if I go for this appliance.
    5. Any other performance or potential issues in this appliance that I should be aware of . I am a home user and i know this SKU is EOL.

Much thanks for reading and recommending the remedy for Realtek, replacement NIC card or the appliance.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MindVentures; Today at 05:11 AM.