Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Old Untangle NUC failing.

Hi all,

I have been running Untangle since 2016 and my Qotom NUC is getting getting a bit long in the tooth and has started throwing some Kernel Errors in the Notifications.
    Have purchased a new Qotom NUC and have a USB ready to load up 16.2.2.

Would it be best to install Untangle with the new NUC connected to my network or not, as I don't want to upset the existing install of Untangle?
    Then do a backup of my existing Untangle install (version 16.0.1) and a restore on the new NUC (version 16.2.2).
    Will this drag over the License info as well?

PS. I'm not the best with Linux CLI stuff

Thanks in advance.

Master Untangler

No Linux CLI stuff necessary...

Just connect the WAN port of the new NUC behind the old one....

Internet --> Old NUC --> LAN --> New NUC

1. Backup the config of the old NUC
    2. Install Untangle on the new NUC and register it (so it will appear in Untangle Command Center)
    3. Restore config on the new NUC then validate that all your settings were applied
    4. Swap out the boxes and confirm that it's routing traffic

Since it's a new install, you'll have full access to all features under a trial license. All your customizations and rules should still work even if you have put it into production and hasn't transferred your license.

5. When you're satisfied with the new NUC and you no longer intend to put the old one back, login to Untangle Command Center and transfer your license to the new Untangle instance

Untanglit

Thanks oj88....

Everything loaded ok on the new NUC so that's a good start.

Backed up my old config on a USB and plugged into the new NUC, clicked restore.....then restore from file but wouldn't have a clue how to find the backup file from within the various directories??

Thanks again...

Master Untangler

Console access (monitor and keyboard directly attached to the NUC) can be challenging for us Windows-only people, especially with the way storage devices behave or are represented in Linux. What I usually do is to pre-configure the LAN side of the new Untangle so that I can connect a laptop and access the admin portal from there. Beyond this, uploading the config file becomes trivial.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Console access (monitor and keyboard directly attached to the NUC) can be challenging for us Windows-only people, especially with the way storage devices behave or are represented in Linux.
    Yep....that's what I have done and it is challenging navigating through the Linux directories to no avail.

I do NOT recommend mounting a USB device on the Untangle physical console to perform a restore.

Not only is that unsupported due to the required command line work, but the console's browser lacks functionality that can cause the restore to fail in quite spectacular ways. (You have to mount the USB storage, it's not automatic in Untangle that's why you can't find it)

Setup the new device just enough to get admin access, connect a laptop or desktop to it and restore from there. That process always works... the above doesn't... trust me.
    CMcNaughton likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I've fallen into that trap myself.

Intuition will tell you that you should be able to restore the backup config directly into Untangle from within its own faculties. But the Untangle engineers thought otherwise; "Nope. Too easy."
    CMcNaughton likes this.

I think this functionality will eventually be in the Command Center.

The process would be something like the way Unifi works...

Adopt a new device, Command Center goes... hey umm this thing over here is busted, do you want to restore the config to this new thing? Yes / No

Blap goes the config, and a reboot later you're back online.

Basically that's how it works now, it just doesn't have a magic way to deliver the configuration file. We meat heads have to actually click a restore button and browse to it like Neanderthals.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I get you and that does provide some convenience. But IMHO, local console restore ought to be a supported option at a minimum.

Having to do it using Command Center can potentially come down to a chicken-and-egg thing. If the configuration required to connect to the ISP is stored within that config (ie. static WAN IP, etc.), there should be another way to shoe-horn that config into Untangle without relying on the Internet.

Bah, most ISPs work via DHCP. And you should have a network configuration document that can do basic IP addressing. It doesn't take any time at all to slap a functional IP configuration on External and Internal so you can get into the console and restore.

Every cloud managed device on the planet has that requirement, Meraki, Unifi, and just about everything else prior to adoption has a web console that allows you to configure just that much.

You don't have to put any time into the initial setup! Just complete the setup wizard with something that half works, and restore.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast