Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Instead of reserved IP addresses, put static IP addresses on the Controller and UAPs.

IMO, network infrastructure stuff like switches, routers, and yes, access points, etc., shouldn't rely on higher-level protocols like DHCP to work.
    The controller should be static, the rest should decidedly NOT be. That is, unless you like having to do a factory reset on the entire fleet of equipment just to move a controller.

For my part, I'll keep deploying on VLAN 1 untagged via DHCP so I can use either DHCP option 43, or DNS based autolocation of the controller. That way when I need to move something, it's just a record adjustment and a reboot of all devices.

Central management changes the game on this situation. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I too have had exceedingly good luck with Untangle heading a Unifi stack. But this year has been a bit rough! Current firmware is working fine though, all except a handful of wireless devices.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    If you're using anything older than Unifi Controller v6.1.71, with firmware v4.3.28.11361 you're going to have these problems. Because the Unifi switching and WAP firmware often breaks DHCP from other vendors.

I'm finding that Unifi Controller v6.2.25 with firmware v5.43.36.12724 is working more reliably, but I'm not quite ready to put my stamp of stable on it yet...
    I've had the inverse issue: anything on the controller starting with a 6 plus anything on an AC-Lite starting with a 5 causes issues. Right now my preference is keeping the controller at the current official 6.1.71 (the 6.2.x series is still in preview) and the AC-Lites on 4.3.28. Other APs models we use that support the 5.43 series firmware have worked okay.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 06-14-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

The controller should be static, the rest should decidedly NOT be. That is, unless you like having to do a factory reset on the entire fleet of equipment just to move a controller.

For my part, I'll keep deploying on VLAN 1 untagged via DHCP so I can use either DHCP option 43, or DNS based autolocation of the controller. That way when I need to move something, it's just a record adjustment and a reboot of all devices.

Central management changes the game on this situation. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I too have had exceedingly good luck with Untangle heading a Unifi stack. But this year has been a bit rough! Current firmware is working fine though, all except a handful of wireless devices.
    It's just a balancing act. Smaller deployments can benefit with just using static IPs on static equipment.

In the last 5 or so years I had my UAPs, I only had to tinker with the set-inform command once. That was when I changed the Controller's IP. It's no big deal. With everything else down for maintenance (including the DHCP server VM), I am still able to reach all network components individually.

Now if you have tens or hundreds of UAPs and have a more robust DHCP server, the balance tips towards having dynamic IP assignments on the APs for simplicity.

Exactly. I made everything static on my home deployment with 3 APs. At work I'm up to 82 Unifi APs, and they all use DHCP. I've never needed set-inform for the Ubiquiti wifi equipment. Their security cameras, on the other hand... And the last few firmware/controller software releases have questioning whether their quality control might be slipping.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 06-15-2021 at 07:02 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Exactly. I made everything static on my home deployment with 3 APs. At work I'm up to 82 Unifi APs, and they all use DHCP. I've never needed set-inform for the Ubiquiti wifi equipment. Their security cameras, on the other hand... And the last few firmware/controller software releases have questioning whether their quality control might be slipping.
    Might?

They're having a harder year than Untangle is... But they did it to themselves when they ditched Unifi Video in favor of this protect mess.
    TexasJeff likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Big time fan of Ubiquiti for ages, used it at home spec'd it on jobs...

BUT... I got pointed towards a brand called Cambium and I really like their stuff. Similar price-point to UniFi but with some extra features that you typically only get with the subscription model stuff like Merkai et all.

Things I like...

• Cloud-based controller, no extra charge (option of on-prem too if you'd rather that)
    • ePSK. Different vendors call this different things, but as far as I know, UniFi doesn't have it (yet). It gives you some of the same functionality of having a RADIUS server, but without the need for one. So you can do VLAN assignments etc all on one SSID and because it's not 802.11X, even clients that only support regular ol' WPA2/3 can play too.

I think they're still doing their AP giveaway, so if you qualify for that offer, definitely worth your time to check them out.

Oh and Streakwave has them, so I don't even have to muck about looking for a distributor.

Their products look to be purpose built for WISPs.

*Edit* Ouch... $1300 for a 24 port switch isn't going to fly in my market.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Oh and Streakwave has them, so I don't even have to muck about looking for a distributor.

Their products look to be purpose built for WISPs.

*Edit* Ouch... $1300 for a 24 port switch isn't going to fly in my market.
    Yeah, they do shift a lot of product in the WISP area. I should have said that the cnPilot range of APs is more in the upper-end of the UniFi price range. Not sure what their switches are like tbh.
    Last edited by Armshouse; 06-15-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armshouse View Post
    Yeah, they do shift a lot of product in the WISP area. I should have said that the cnPilot range of APs is more in the upper-end of the UniFi price range. Not sure what their switches are like tbh.
    My Streakwave rep said they have AAA support comparable to Cisco. If that's true, it explains the premium price tag, people of that caliber aren't cheap!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I agree that Ubiquiti has seen better days. I'm still running Controller 5.14.23. The 6.x versions, I've heard, is still sort of the "Windows Vista" of UniFi.... a lot of eye candy, experimentations, instabilities, and missing configurations, etc. that I've decided to stay on v5.x for as long as it's supported. I only have four UAPs so it's not like I'm missing a lot from 6.x.

"Stable Release" have come to mean nothing at Ubiquiti.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast