Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I agree that Ubiquiti has seen better days. I'm still running Controller 5.14.23. The 6.x versions, I've heard, is still sort of the "Windows Vista" of UniFi.... a lot of eye candy, experimentations, instabilities, and missing configurations, etc. that I've decided to stay on v5.x for as long as it's supported. I only have four UAPs so it's not like I'm missing a lot from 6.x.

"Stable Release" have come to mean nothing at Ubiquiti.
    I'm on current now at two sites with Untangle at the edge and the only issues are a handful of older HP wireless printers keep falling off. But they're in an age group where I'm not quite sure if it's Unifi's fault or just the ancient printers. One of them I hard wired and it's been fine ever since.

There are some bugs in busybox in that old release, so make sure you have SSH disabled and you should be fine.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I don't see why one would want a Unifi controller merged with Untangle.

I've been into Ubiquiti since...well, close to since I've been into Untangle. I became an Untangle reseller when it was version 5.03 I think. Been into Ubiquiti since...their square ceiling mount gen1 access points were around, and for outdoors...Pico APs. Thinking that was around 2006 or 2007. We have a large stockroom of Ubiquiti hardware, try to keep several of most devices they have, from Unifi, to Edge, and air*. (we do a lot of outdoor stuff too).

Love the product. Most of our several thousand devices are provisioned to our Unifi controller at Hostifi...the best Unifi host around.
    TexasJeff likes this.
    Resident "Geek on a Harley" in Southeast Connecticut, USA.

Hello everyone! first time poster, longtime with Untangle and with UI gear here at home. Randomly after the newest Untangle update, my Unifi apps (Protect and Network). I am not sure if this would be a good thread to piggy back on, so I apologize if this isn't, but my question was if anything had changed recently that would suddenly be putting my Unifi Controller online/offline ever so often from the outside. I have a 2nd system that does not have an Untangle (Protectli 2 port) and it's working with the exact same Unifi Dream Machine Pro system so I'm hoping to ask y'all up here. I had initially only opened 7443 and 8443 but tried additional ports and no joy.

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
    Hello everyone! first time poster, longtime with Untangle and with UI gear here at home. Randomly after the newest Untangle update, my Unifi apps (Protect and Network). I am not sure if this would be a good thread to piggy back on, so I apologize if this isn't, but my question was if anything had changed recently that would suddenly be putting my Unifi Controller online/offline ever so often from the outside. I have a 2nd system that does not have an Untangle (Protectli 2 port) and it's working with the exact same Unifi Dream Machine Pro system so I'm hoping to ask y'all up here. I had initially only opened 7443 and 8443 but tried additional ports and no joy.

Thanks everyone.
    No ports are required to be open for the Unifi stuff to work if it's linked to the cloud account.

That being said, Intrusion Prevention, and Threat Prevention both will be problems with that access mechanism. The former is tied to the heavier blocking rule sets. Specifically the Critical Priority, and High Priority rule sets that have action block if recommended. If either of those rule sets are active, you WILL have issues with your Unifi controller.

Now, you should never use a Dream Machine unless it's your only router. That thing is touchy... buggy... and a general nightmare. If I were you I'd let them negotiate their landing in the nearest dumpster.

But no, nothing in the most recent update changed a thing in regards to Unifi. But again you will have intermittent trouble because Threat Prevention is wound up a little too tight, and Intrusion Prevention if you enable the above.

Also, any attempt to use Untangle or anything else at the edge of a network with a Dream Machine inside it, will also give you fits. The UDMs MUST BE the edge routing device. They don't work well if the ISP is doing CGNAT either!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    No ports are required to be open for the Unifi stuff to work if it's linked to the cloud account.

That being said, Intrusion Prevention, and Threat Prevention both will be problems with that access mechanism. The former is tied to the heavier blocking rule sets. Specifically the Critical Priority, and High Priority rule sets that have action block if recommended. If either of those rule sets are active, you WILL have issues with your Unifi controller.

Now, you should never use a Dream Machine unless it's your only router. That thing is touchy... buggy... and a general nightmare. If I were you I'd let them negotiate their landing in the nearest dumpster.

But no, nothing in the most recent update changed a thing in regards to Unifi. But again you will have intermittent trouble because Threat Prevention is wound up a little too tight, and Intrusion Prevention if you enable the above.

Also, any attempt to use Untangle or anything else at the edge of a network with a Dream Machine inside it, will also give you fits. The UDMs MUST BE the edge routing device. They don't work well if the ISP is doing CGNAT either!
    Thank you for the reply - I will go look to see if any of the rule sets may be doing that. I know that previously I've modified some to allow things through.

I used to have my USG3 as the edge routing device, with the Protectli inline after that but when I got the UDMP I swapped it up and now the Protectli is on the edge (I have a static IP from my ISP) so I basically make the UDMP think that the 10.x.x.x I'm serving it from the internal eth1 on Protectli is its external, and it just serves internal 192.xxx. It has made VPN a nightmare for sure, but up until now has worked.

I agree re: UDMP. I DID have a USG3 and UCK2+ but the UCK2+ started acting wonky and that was the only thing that Altex had that I could snag locally so momma wouldn't keel haul me.

Final stupid question: if I revert to the old way (have UDMP on edge with Protectli/Untangle inline coming off of one of the ports how hard to route all traffic coming/going through that? On my old USG3/UCK(then UCK2+) setups they only had a single port so it was easy to do with physical cabling; now I would have to instruct those other ports to do it as well somewhere I'm guessing?

You can't... you simply can't.

Ubiquiti's routing and entire stack is fundamentally incompatible with having ANYTHING in the middle of it like that. It can be made to work, but it's a dynamic rule update away from broken all the time. That configuration is fragile, so I will not recommend it.

The only thing I will recommend is to abandon anything with Ubiquiti's name on it that also routes. Not only are they garbage, but that's the point at which the Unifi product becomes a go full stack or go home situation.

You need to decide, abandon the dud machine, or Untangle.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Ok, it seems like the way I fixed this specific issue was deleting the UI apps on my iphones and reinstalling them. It worked perfectly afterwards, so turns out it wasn't Untangle, or the UDMP that has been working for a long time, it was the updated iOS apps.

Thanks again!! Love the forum, wish I could gold you like on Reddit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123