Untangler

Question Adding Unifi to untangle

I have read through all the threads here about integrating NGFW and Unifi. They are all about adding NGFW to Unifi. I fall into the other category- I want to add Unifi to NGFW. I love their WiFi- most solid devices I have ever experienced. So I am using Unifi to manage the WAPs, and I want to isolate guest devices and IoT widgets from the rest of our home network. I intend to keep untangle as the firewall, that will NOT change.

Could someone provide me with a few basics to get started? Which must provide DHCP? What addresses must be used? (currently 192.168.0.x)
    TIA,
    RC

You're thinking about this too hard...

Untangle will never be in Unifi's controller, just as Unifi devices will never be in Untangle's controller.

ALL you need to know... is how Unifi devices find their controller!

There are two primary means, L2 discovery, and DNS. The latter is FAR more reliable.

So... you attach a controller to your network somewhere, give it a static address if you want, or tell Untangle to reserve it. Then hit up your dns tab and make a unifi.whatever.com record that aims at the IP the controller uses.

So magic bit to know. Untangle uses the domain that's in config -> network -> hostname, as the DNS Suffix when it passes out DHCP. So, whatever that domain is, you put the unifi. in front of it! If it's example.com in the domain box, your DNS record is unifi.example.com.

Once that's done, and the controller is responding. (test with your browser, https://unifi.example.com:8443) When unifi devices come online, they get IP addresses via DHCP like anything else. They get that DNS suffix as a part of that, and they go looking for a controller on the above name and appear for adoption.

It works all day, every day, FOREVER. You can easily make the unifi. record point at an IP in the cloud somewhere too if you want to use an offsite controller. In fact, this is SO EASY it's actually EASIER to support Unifi switches and WAPs behind an Untangle than it is behind a Dream Machine or USG!
    sammy_cda likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

So far, it's working. I had the key running already, and the WAPs found their master over L2 I guess. Had momentary disconnects every DHCP renew, though. This should solve that. Thank you for your quick response.

I have a small (8 port) Unifi switch connecting the WAPs and a few other devices in the house. All the servers & NGFW are in my office using a switch from another vendor.
    I can't get any statistics or traffic analysis from Unifi except when using the Android app. Nothing from the key's web pages.

Untangler

That works slick Rob. Thanks!