Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untanglit

Ok, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

If Debian Buster installs and works, you're probably in one of those weird places where the installer hates your hardware, but the OS is fine.

Systems like that can be used with Untangle, but the install needs to be imaged. An alternative idea is to install the SSD you're planning to use for Untangle into another box, disconnect all the other drives from the system, and install Untangle there then move the drive over to the hardware you're playing with.

Note if you attempt this, move the drive immediately after the installer finishes and BEFORE the first time the OS actually boots.

If it boots... you're gold. But Debian has been dropping support for older platforms, and at this point if it's not an iSeries CPU practically nothing "supports" it anymore.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

That’s actually a good idea! Never thought of that and I think it’s worth giving it a shot! I have another computer (more recent) where I can try installing then moving the disk to the older box.

Thanks for your input!!

Untanglit

So for those following I did some test tonight on another box (more recent) and had the same issue. Since I knew it was unlikely that this issue was present on 2 different computer I downloaded Untangle again (version 16.3.1) and burned it on a DVD. The installation worked on my newer box!! The version I had before was 16.2.2 ... Not sure if the version was the issue or a somewhat corrupted dowload but since it worked with the newer version I will give it a shot on my older box!

Untangler

I had the same message, but for a different reason. I will post this here in case it happens to help anybody. I have a USB iodd device that takes ISO's and emulates the drive. I had a problem with the system wanting to use all the storage devices that were listed and that included the attached SSD that all the ISO's are stored in. This device has 3 main modes it works in:

Dual (CD and HDD)
    HDD (HDD only)
    CD (CD only)

I started off in Dual but it was trying to grab the internal storage and the storage for my USB iodd device.

So I switched ti to CD only mode (for some servers and such, I have had to use this mode in order for the virtual CD drive to be seen)

I started to get the same CD message he was getting above...

So I remember there being some protection measures built into the iodd, so I put it back into Dual mode and enable write protection, and I am able to proceed with the install without a hitch.

Again, I got the same message as him for a 16.3.1 install, a little different, but I thought it might end up helping someone that might be using the same iodd devices for these kinds of installs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12