Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Question Error during install - Load Installer Components from CD

Hello,

I was trying to install Untangle as I am looking to switch from pfsense to untangle and I have an issue installing it. Actually it did not install at all... I created my USB Boot device using Rufus as per Untangle suggestion. Trying to isolate the issue, I removed/swap memories, NIC, all SATA devices except 1 disk to install and nothing worked.

I am using the same computer which is running pfsense no issues but trying to install on new HDD... Would this be hardware related since the computer I am using is an old HP Pentium Dual Core?

Printscreen of the error attached.

Any input?

IMG_8153.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Untangler

Is it a 32 bit machine? Maybe a corrupt download? Try non graphic install?

Untanglit

Hi there,

It is a 64-bit machine and I did try the non graphical installer... same result. I literally ran out of ideas... maybe their is no way for me to install Untangle on this machine

Untangle will not install on all hardware. PFsense is based on FreeBSD while Untangle is based on Linux Debian so it's apple to oranges. I would try using a new USB stick.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

PFSense is based on BSD, Untangle is based on Debian Linux.

The two platforms are incredibly different, and working with one does not impart the knowledge of working with the other.

The error you're seeing indicates a problem with the SATA controller driver. If your BIOS has IDE mode / AHCI mode switches... try mucking with those. Some systems like it one way vs another, so what specific setting to use is unknown. It's your hardware, so you get to tinker it into something workable.

It's also possible your USB controller doesn't like the USB stick you're using. I've seen this a fair bit with modern USB sticks and old USB controllers like this, and wind up imaging the disk to get the platform installed. Heck some of those systems to install Windows 10 need to use optical media! If Windows won't install, Debian (Untangle) probably wont either for similar reasons.

BSD utterly ignores the BIOS by the way... which is why PFSense works for you! Linux doesn't do this.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-27-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Must be the issue I’m having. I already tried a different USB. I ordered a Protectli device to replace this old computer and save some space. I’ll give it a try when it arrives. Like I said I wanted to give Untangle a good try before switching from pfsense.

Untanglit

Hi,

Yes I actually do have SATA/IDE, AHCI, RAID …. Controller options. I tried switching them around but it didn’t work. I haven’t tried an old IDE drive (I do have some here) …. Maybe untangle is not compatible with my hardware after all :-/

Thanks for the reply.

BTW. Welcome to the forums!
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Thanks!! Very dynamic forum and quick response. Can’t wait to install and try untangle!!

Untangler

Try installing debian buster. Untangle is based on it. Wont tell you it will work but if it wont you might as well give it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast