Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default 16.3 Install.. Bring back don't install recommended apps.

Please bring back the option to not install all the recommended apps.

Forcing everything on the install, that we then have to go to each and every one to manually remove is very annoying.

Untangler

Maybe let us choose from a menu?

Untangler

Not a fan of the new install method, I don't generally want to install the "Trials" on a new install since we can only use them once, and even if we uninstall them, the counter had already been started when we were not the ones to initiate it. Speaking of this, who do I need to contact in order to get the trials reset for that install since I literally removed all the paid apps right after install. I would also like to see the rest of the setup process brought back since it does help with some basic setup, ex transparent mode or traditional router mode, though I would love to hear some feedback as to why it was removed if possible. My #1 reason is that I set these up for my customers and if I wanted to demonstrate a paid app for 2 weeks, now I have to pay for it since the install used up the free trial.

thank you,

P.S. If I missed somewhere it gave the option to not install the apps, I apologize, but I saw really not much to choose from in this new 16.3.1 ISO setup TBH.
    Last edited by ms308680; 05-28-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Untangler

Any update on bringing back that choice?

I spoke to my Untangle rep (We are a partner) and he had no idea that this change had happened either.

A statement from a Untangle employee would be appreciated.

There is no plans to change the new setup wizard at this point.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Which is wonderfully stupid, because you can't complete a setup without configuring external to actually connect to the Internet, and you removed the screen to tell us what interfaces are what. So on a larger install, you're just guessing what interface is ETH0.

THEN after you're done with that, you have to put in the Untangle.com account to complete setup... if you close the browser at any point during the first boot wizard you can short cut much of this. But you're dropped to an admin login prompt after not having set a password, so you just have to "know" it's passwd.

That wizard is a HUGE step backwards. There had better be "plans to change it".

Note, I do not have an issue with the trial apps immediately activating and installing. I do understand how some would see that as an annoyance, but Untangle is here to make money. Furthermore I understand the accounting mess created when installs don't immediately start trials. So that bit I do NOT expect to change!
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hmmm, I did a 16.3 install from the new ISO recently and remember there was an option to skip the online setup with WAN connection and proceed as it did previously. I didn't run into this over arching issue. Maybe I'm missing something. I'll have to check it again.

The new setup wizard is in 16.3.2, not previous versions.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

The automatic installs of apps is ridiculous for an enterprise priced product.

The release notes say "recommended apps". Is the uptake on running 20 apps immediately out of the box really high enough to justify this?

I had to uninstall 18 separate apps I didn't need again today. What a waste of time, and now all the trials are expiring, so I'll need to open a ticket later when I want to enable a new feature to test for a client such as failover, Directory Connector, Branding, Etc.

Untangler

I sell machines with Untangle preinstalled. I currently have nearly 80 machines to load, but apparently I'll have to use the 16.2 installer so users can (A.) try the paid products. and (B.) Not spend a ton of time having to uninstall apps I don't ship with the base unit.

After this batch I'm not sure what I'm going to have to do.

This completely removes the ability for me to have machines on my shelf ready to go with the latest version of untangle.

It's like untangle has no regards to resellers being able to have hardware ready to go. So instead of having my dealers coming in looking for a router to get a failed customer down quickly, I will have to ask them to wait until a fresh load is done on hardware (and have to schedule that around other builds) or lose the sale to a different device, or sell the same hardware with a different router software (i.e. Pfsense)

Do I have to start pushing Pfsense as a preloaded firewall? If I do that, that will eliminate my sales conversion on software after the hardware sales like I do (or did) with untangle. Which has been profitable for both myself and untangle.

This also disallows customers who have a device without a license trying the paid app at a later time, deciding they like it, and then buying a license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast