Default Question on Migrating to New Hardware

Please forgive the neophyte type question, but I am not at all versed in Linux (well it has been well over a decade).

Here is my issue. I need to migrate Untangle, just the free firewall and the paid web filter, to a new piece of hardware. I don't want to have to manually configure everything again, so I want to back up the config file. My only problem here is that I don't know how to back it up to an external drive like a flash drive.

My library won't pay for the online portal to do a cloud type backup, so how do I backup the config file to something I can port into the new machine?

Thanks,

Just use the download backup / restore in Config -> System -> Backup to download the config file. Install UT from ISO on the new hardware, restore the backup Config -> System -> Restore, and then move your license to the new hardware using Command Center.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks, but it doesn't give me an option as to where to store the backup file. It only lets me generate the file and choose save. I am assuming it is on the local HD somewhere, but I need to put it on a USB drive so I can put it in the new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by wgragg View Post
    Thanks, but it doesn't give me an option as to where to store the backup file. It only lets me generate the file and choose save. I am assuming it is on the local HD somewhere, but I need to put it on a USB drive so I can put it in the new machine.
    You need to access the Untangle from another device, through either Command Center or the internal IP address and save the restore to that device. You cannot save directly from the console as it will save to the filesystem Untangle runs on.

Thanks. I will have to ponder that one a bit. The Untangle box is on another network firewalled off from the network my staff PC is on. I have a static route set up to get to that network, but for some reason, it does not want to reach the untangle box, though I can reach other equipment in that network. I guess I will need to involve the network gurus.

Can I even use Command Center since we are just using the free version of the actual firewall? All they will pay for is the paid version of the web filter and it took a knock-down fight with my director to even get that!

Quote Originally Posted by wgragg View Post
    Thanks. I will have to ponder that one a bit. The Untangle box is on another network firewalled off from the network my staff PC is on. I have a static route set up to get to that network, but for some reason, it does not want to reach the untangle box, though I can reach other equipment in that network. I guess I will need to involve the network gurus.

Can I even use Command Center since we are just using the free version of the actual firewall? All they will pay for is the paid version of the web filter and it took a knock-down fight with my director to even get that!
    Without seeing the network layout and everything I don't want to make a guess on that side, as far as Command Center you should be able to use the 'Remote Access' button on the appliance page, that is available to all Untangle users, there are some more advanced features of Command Center that require a full license.
    jcoffin likes this.