Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default SSD crash on old AMD HW - getting back the setup/installation

I have used Untangle for (MANY) years - and really a joy as the platform has matured and got flawlessly upgraded, etc.

BUT now my SSD has crashed - I noticed some notices about bad signals, etc., and then a couple of days ago, the unit went offline :-(

SO now I have pulled out my old (retired) mini-PC, upgraded it - and it WORKS!
    But it is limited and I want to get my old setup back on a new SSD...

NOW to the problem: The HW seems no longer supported (by Debian) as I have deduced from some similar threads about installation problems but I hope that I can "re-upgrade" the installation to the result that I lost on the old SSD.

CHALLENGE: Getting an "old distribution" that will install and then go the upgrade route to get to the latest version!
    It has worked fine - until this SSD crash so it should work again - i.e., a feasible path - I hope...

So how "far back" should I go - to 13, 14 - or ?

Any advice/experiences much appreciated!

IMG_20210702_213611.jpg

It will not fully upgrade to the latest if it is not supported by Debian. I would use this as an opportunity to renew the HW.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I... don't think your issue is the SSD.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Agreed - the culprit is not the SSD but the old motherboard/CPU/.../platform that no longer seem supported by the Untangle (Debian) platform...

As Untangle HAS WORKED (by upgrading from release x), it must be reworkable - but I have to find out which release, I have to start installing that supports this old platform...

I have determined via Debian that the support seems to have ceased after "jessie" - so I have to determine what release that is in "Untangle release"?

Untangler

PS: I am also investigating getting a new PC (with CPU<65W, NVMe, ...) that will save some Watt/energy over time - but the investigation in time and money is a bit larger than trying to burn a DVD with the right Untangle distribution :-)

Untangler

OK - after some googl'ing into Untangle - it seems that release 12 should be OK:

Untangle 12.0 is based on Debian Jessie (8.x) and the 3.16 linux kernel. This should provide more modern hardware support. Additionally, The database has been migrated from postgres 9.1 to postgres 9.4. The UI now leverages Extjs 6.

No, what I'm saying is that old main board's SATA controller or something more substantial is failing. SSDs don't "just die", statistically... unless you bought some garbage no name brand.

Jessie was Debian 8. Untangle is based on Debian 10, which got there with the 15.1 upgrade. The Debian 9 upgrade happened with v14.0.0.

So if you have to install Jessie, you're going all the way back to v13.2.1. This is not something I recommend even attempting, because it's not likely to fix your problem anyway. But if you want to sink the time into attempting it, knock yourself out.

*Edit* your google fu is a bit off....

Old versions here: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...wall_Downloads
    Change logs here: https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...all_Changelogs

Usually kernel upgrades happen on the .0 release of a major version. v15.1 is the only exception.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Sorry about the spamming but if any follow in my footsteps:

It seems that Untangle 14.0 is moving to Debian stretch - until then it is jessie which likely supports much of the older HW ��

Untangler

Thanks, sky-knight - for your insight!

The OCZ drive is from 2010 (or something like that) - 64GB and thereby with quite some data moving through it since then...
    So I am (have been) guessing that it was reasonable that it could be reaching the critical water mark for "no more recovery bits left"...

But a VERY valid point; can I reach the logs on this "dismantled" installation - either at the Command Central or on the SSD?
    I have only Windows installations avaiable at present - besides the Untangle so I may have to mount it somehow...

OCZ from 2010 and 64GB?

Yeah... honestly I'm shocked that thing is still around. I would have thought that thing would have died by 2015! Those weren't known for terribly great longevity. So perhaps you do have just a dead SSD.

But we're still back to the fact that mainboard is no longer supported by Debian. The longer this goes on, the worse it gets. Heck you might get this going again just for the next upgrade to kill it!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast