Question Waiting on UVM to boot and once it finally does, Untangle URL doesn't work

I have a super overkill system for Untangle to run on. Dell R430 1U server with dual Xeon 8 core/16 thread CPUs, 512 gigs of RAM and 4, 2TB 10K SAS drives in RAID 6. Told you it was overkill! All for a home setup.

Problem is, Untangle installed just fine (ngfw-untangle-16.3.2-amd64.iso) but when the system reboots, it stays on the 'waiting for UVM to boot' screen for 5+ minutes and when it finally comes up to the desktop and I click on the Untangle launcher I get an error about 'server (or host?) not found'. I forget the exact error but the firewall just isn't starting.

I did some poking around and somebody mentioned adjusting a file to decrease the timeout from 5min to 15seconds and the 'waiting for UVM to boot' only lasted on the screen for a bit under 5 minutes but in the end, same result.

Any ideas?

Hit esc while it is waiting to boot, post the text shown.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Hit esc while it is waiting to boot, post the text shown.
    untangle uvm boot.png

The only thing that happens when I press ESC on that screen is it tosses up: ^[

And after getting to the main desktop, the browser loads and I see: Untangle Server Not Found
    Last edited by road hazard; 07-06-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Untangler

When the ui is up can you enter the terminal? If so try
    Code:
    systemd-analyze blame

Untangler

Had this same problem on an upgraded unit from 6.2 to 6.3.2. It was stalling out at the same point, and then the web UI would take EONS to load. Support looked at it, and I ended up having to format/reload to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by MNTech68 View Post
    Had this same problem on an upgraded unit from 6.2 to 6.3.2. It was stalling out at the same point, and then the web UI would take EONS to load. Support looked at it, and I ended up having to format/reload to fix it.
    Thanks to everyone who replied but I took MNTech68's advice and that fixed it. I removed the network cable during the install (so it couldn't get out to the internet....whether that fixed it or the reinstall, who knows) but everything is up and running. The only problem I'm having is accessing the web admin page from other PCs in the house. BUT, I'll do some digging as I'm sure it's just something that needs toggled on or slightly adjusted.

Saturday will by my official test day. Tried pfSense and OPNsense and had more problems with pfSense than with OPN and I also tried Sophos XG (but quickly gave up once I realized they don't support UEFI booting) so next up will be Untangle's turn. Due to all the testing I've been doing, my family is going to kill me if I keep interrupting their online activities so Saturday morning it is. lol