Untangler

Question New installation encounters debian boot problem!

I have finally gotten the new Untangle box put together - the system GOES GREEN by changing from an AMD 1055T using 70W-130W to the AMD 4300GE using 20W-30W - expecting to keep the HIGH performance of Untangle!
    GREAT solution in respect of the climate challenge!

But the Debian/Untangle system does not acknowledge the video setup (AMD B450 chipset using the 4300GE Radion graphics) :-(
    The specs of AMD 4300GE state:
    *OS Support
    Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
    RHEL x86 64-Bit
    Ubuntu x86 64-Bit

But the Debian/Untangle distribution comes with the error message:

Screenshot_20210711-203601 - small.jpg

Do you have any clue on what/how to proceed?

I have tried all the suggestions and had to fall back to the text administration option but I have never used that option of the Untangle setup... I foresee a challenge to bootstrap the configuration restore but I hope the online backup works as announced!

The 4300GE chipset seems not be to fully implemented on several Linux versions including Debian 10 from a quick Google search.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

OK - I have not stumbled upon them but I hope that will be solved in later releases then...
    Thanks for this VERY quick reply!

I will see how this text admin option works in the meantime ��

Fortunately that's just an X.org error, which only disables the graphical UI.

If you can determine which interface on the unit is eth1 (2nd interface), it will have a static IP address of 192.168.2.1, you can statically configure another device on that subnet, and access the web ui to complete first boot from there. The only real downside is you won't want to do any sort of restore with networking on that unit, because if something goes wrong you won't have a local UI to get into the admin interface to fix it.

Basically, if you consider it headless, you can operate it that way.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

The web interace has more or less been the practice the past 10+ years but especially in the setup/debug mode, the lack of direct monitor support is a setback to "starting blindfolded" (expect for the basic network setup - great that exists as bootstrap.)

I have checked the network setup and so the ports are mapped - next step is to "make the switch"

Does this simple plan work reasonable - or have I overlooked something (the internet is like water/electricity part of the basic necessity :-)

- plug in the new box (switch off the interim UT router)
    - connect to the interim 192.169.1.2 via web
    - login to untangle.com Command Center
    - migrate subscription (from dead UT server)
    - load backup via UT interface from cloud backup (getting the full device list, network setup, etc.)
    - (reboot)
    - GO!

Thanks for your insightful advice/help, untanglers!

I restore the backups before I migrate the subscription, because a fresh install has trials to work with.

Also, if you don't have a working local graphical output, restores with networking may well lock you out of the unit. So I'd be restoring without networking, and manually configuring what's in the networking tab.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Red face The restore with some surprices

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I restore the backups before I migrate the subscription, because a fresh install has trials to work with.

Also, if you don't have a working local graphical output, restores with networking may well lock you out of the unit. So I'd be restoring without networking, and manually configuring what's in the networking tab.
    Appreciated hint - thanks!

I am surprised that the DNS/DHCP entries are not restored...
    This is in my installation important to get (several of) the IP numbers identical as before so this had been frustrating - and the few DNS entries are also gone...
    The Google connection had to be reinstated - of course but that also took a couple of days before I realized this.

Otherwise it seems that I am back online on a lot more efficient platform - and with some minor speedup - great!

Yeah restore without networking means nothing on the networking tab. Which also means no DHCP or DNS entries... it would be nice to grab those. But DNSMasq gets... uppity when you ask it to remember things for networks it's not configured for.
    NexgenAppliances.com