Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Getting Untangle (the Free edition) with 4 WANs. Will it work?

Hello dear friends,
    I have been assigned this task, to get a 150 employee company a solid router with VPN. They don't need the extra protect features as they utilize a software (per PC) solution (Watchguard\Panda Adaptive suite).
    So it seems the free version of Untangle with a Supermicro SYS-E300-9D-4CN8TP will do the job. However in that office area there is only option for VDSL 50/5 lines. So I am planning to install 4 of them, the ISP brings their own box which fortunately has DMZ function and the 4 ports of Untangle will become WAN interfaces with static IPs.

My question is this: Will the free version handle and auto-allocate the sessions to the 4 WANs or do I need the paid version? Is this the WAN balancer that I need (and without it Untangle will only use one WAN?)?

Thank you so much in advance

Untangler

you won't have any problem with 4 wans, your problem here is that you intend to use a free version for a business..
    I'm quite sure that's against the TOS, if you have a business then get the proper license and support after the 14 day trial,
    you will need it for multi wan failover and load balance.

Untangler

WAN Balancer allows you to change the default behavior from round-robin. If you're fine with your outbound traffic being allocated evenly among all four WANs, you don't need WAN Balancer.

Untangler

Thank you all for the replies. I wasn't aware that the free version cannot be used in a business environment. It's only that the free\community version of all *nix firewalls (opnsense\untangle\endian) is just fine for their needs since they have invested in software solutions. But I would rather use Untangle as I am more familiar with.

Free version can be used in any environment. The restriction is only with the Home license which is not to be used in a business.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle's Free version is legal for any use, I have no idea where the idea came from that it's limited. I use the free Untangle ALL THE TIME for commercial applications.

Untnagle's Free Version however does not include WAN Balancer or WAN Failover.

The former is what allocates sessions across multiple WANs, the latter determines if any of those WANs are up or down so Untangle can stop using busted connections. Either enable Untangle to use more than 1 WAN, but do so differently.

So yes, you can install Untangle free, and configure it for 4 WAN links, and a LAN link. But all traffic will exit the WAN on the lowest number interface.

Gravensoft's post is unclear, Untangle will not utilize more than 1 exterior route without WAN Balancer or WAN Failover enabled. The latter is where the "round robin" behavior can come from. As the module will change Untangle's default route when it detects a WAN fault. If you want to change or control this behavior you use WAN Balancer. But WAN Balancer without failover means sessions landing on a possibly busted WAN. In reality, you need both. But if you have neither, the lowest numbered WAN connection is the only one used for egress traffic.

TLDR, Untangle free is perfectly fine for commercial use, but cannot be effectively used for more than 1 WAN.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-27-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Is there a way to get Untange WAN Failover to Fall Back when the Failed WAN returns?

Scenario would be using a phone has a hotspot for secondary WAN.

Any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DWomack View Post
    Is there a way to get Untange WAN Failover to Fall Back when the Failed WAN returns?

Yes, if WAN Failover and WAN Balancer apps are running. Untangle will do this if the other WAN are set to 100% and the hotspot is set to 0% in the WAN Balancer weights. WAN Failover communicates to WAN Balancer when WANs are down or up.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by DWomack View Post

Any advice is appreciated.
    Just to repeat what JCoffin already said, WAN Failover simply detects up / down status and has the power to change Untangle's default gateway to match. That's the end of its logic. So it will only use one WAN at a time, and won't change off that WAN until it's "down".

If you want to use all WANs, you need Balancer. If you want Balancer to know when a WAN is down... you need Failover.

For all practical purposes you need BOTH MODULES. Which is why I really wish Untangle would just unify them and move on. There's no reason to have two modules here other than to create confusion. But it's what it is.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    For all practical purposes you need BOTH MODULES. Which is why I really wish Untangle would just unify them and move on. There's no reason to have two modules here other than to create confusion. But it's what it is.
    Sounds like it should be a feature request. If it gets thousands of votes they might do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast