Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    Oh, I get it is a Debian issue, however Untangle should be doing a better job at QA and catching this and fixing it. At the end of the day, I'd be paying Untangle not Debian, so while this is clearly a Debian issue, untangle knows about it and hasn't fixed it.
    You and I are on the same page... As an Untangle reseller I've been warning people about this issue since Untangle changed to the OS. I've also been writing .link files for MSPs that get stuck. The platform is completely trustworthy after that. There are no other issues... but you cannot configure a firewall when the NICs keep getting new device flags! It screws everything up...

This remains the only show stopping issue with the platform I'm aware of, and it's easily mitigated with a text file.
    tjk likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

Just out of curiosity, and I haven't looked, did Untangle publishing something in the wiki about this, as it is a known issue and they haven't fixed it I would assume they would have a known issues/work around posted for public consumption?

Just out of curiosity, and I haven't looked, did Untangle publishing something in the wiki about this, as it is a known issue and they haven't fixed it I would assume they would have a known issues/work around posted for public consumption?
    I don't think so... it wouldn't be in their character to do so either because it's a command line level change.
    NexgenAppliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

Thanks, another question.

Since I would need dozens of vlans ethX.100, ethX.101, etc. Do I need to have a link file for each vlan or just the physical/parent interface?

Also, thank you Rob I appreciate everything you do here on the forums, you've helped me before in other threads. Untangle should be paying you for all that you contribute here.

Thanks, another question.

Since I would need dozens of vlans ethX.100, ethX.101, etc. Do I need to have a link file for each vlan or just the physical/parent interface?

Also, thank you Rob I appreciate everything you do here on the forums, you've helped me before in other threads. Untangle should be paying you for all that you contribute here.
    Oh you've got that totally wrong!

The .link files map MAC addresses to physical NICs! All they do is ensure the real interfaces keep the same names. That way the VLANs can bolt on top of there.

So you need to only concern yourself with fixing the physical interfaces, the virtual ones for VLANs or anything else come along for the ride.

You can have as many of those .rules files as you need too... so feel free to just make a file per NIC. You will then KNOW what MAC address is what ETHX flag, and Untangle will keep itself straight.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-29-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    tjk likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Oh, I get it is a Debian issue, however Untangle should be doing a better job at QA and catching this and fixing it.
    I would not blame QA without knowing the internal process. Untangle does not guarantee compatibility on third party hardware to which this issue does not happen on Untangle hardware. This issue has been discussed before.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 08-29-2021 at 04:01 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I would not blame QA without knowing the internal process. Untangle does not guarantee compatibility on third party hardware. To which this issue does not happen on Untangle hardware. This issue has been discussed before.
    The operative word is... Yet.

The appliance platforms will have this issue in the future. But no, currently none of the hardware Untangle purchases for resale will do this.

And to that end... I say BAH HUMBUG. Because that's the excuse made by entirely too many organizations. You support operating on 3rd party hardware, and not making this simple fix just screams hey... no help for you unless you're on our junk.

And JUNK is literal, because that's all Quotom makes!

The only convincing argument that can be made is we don't need to fix this because Debian will fix it in Debian 11. Which isn't even set in stone yet!
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-29-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    I would not blame QA without knowing the internal process. Untangle does not guarantee compatibility on third party hardware to which this issue does not happen on Untangle hardware. This issue has been discussed before.
    Thanks for the info. Do you have a list of hardware that you do support on the software only option that you guys charge for?

I respect that you can't support all the hardware options in existence, but if you are selling a software only option then you should have an HCL of supported hardware, should you not?

Thanks for the info. Do you have a list of hardware that you do support on the software only option that you guys charge for?

I respect that you can't support all the hardware options in existence, but if you are selling a software only option then you should have an HCL of supported hardware, should you not?
    The only hardware Untangle supports is Untangle branded.

Everything else is either supported by 3rd party vendors such as myself, or you support it yourself because you rolled the hardware. That's the way it's always been.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12