Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tjk
    Untangler

Default Vlans on install

Is there any easy process to setup my external interface with a vlan/tag?

I ended up disabling the main External interfaces, added a new external interface with the vlan, set the parent to the disabled External interface, and when I rebooted it remapped the interface so some other interface.

Would be nice during the install to be able to select if you are using vlans and tags vs all the jumping around and interface remapping that happens.

Am I missing something?

This is the unlying Debian remapping due to labeling based on which interface is first recognized on various hardware. What hardware is this? If I can get an example of this for in-house debugging.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

tjk
    Untangler

3 Identical Dell R630 with on-board 10G cards. I just did a refresh install again, and the mappings are different across nodes on install, and when I reboot they keep changing.

What can I provide to track this down?

Also, what about vlans on install? Should I disable the External interface and add a vlan using the External as the parent interface?

Thanks for the information. I believe we have an R610 which we can try out.

You have the correct configuration of the External disabled with a VLAN on it. The VLAN is linking to the ethx assigned. Unfortunately the interface which is ethx is changing on each reboot.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

When the mainboard brings up interfaces in random orders... You get to build yourself a .link file.

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInter...NG_.LINK_FILES

Thanks Debian...

That file maps MAC addresses to specific device flags so everything stays put and you can actually use things across reboots.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    When the mainboard brings up interfaces in random orders... You get to build yourself a .link file.

https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkInter...NG_.LINK_FILES

Thanks Debian...

That file maps MAC addresses to specific device flags so everything stays put and you can actually use things across reboots.
    Wow, thanks some janky stuff for sure...while I'm comfortable with Linux, not sure if Untangle will support us if I start doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    Wow, thanks some janky stuff for sure...while I'm comfortable with Linux, not sure if Untangle will support us if I start doing that.
    Does the box have support? IF so... make them write the files. They're the ones that haven't automated this mess yet.

That being said, I do this on boxes on a regular basis and haven't had an issue with UT support. Go build your map files and save your hair!
    tjk likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

Does the box have support? IF so... make them write the files. They're the ones that haven't automated this mess yet.

That being said, I do this on boxes on a regular basis and haven't had an issue with UT support. Go build your map files and save your hair!
    They were going to, looking to replace some Sophos UTM (don't care for the XG), and have been fighting this all day. Thought it was good, 4 reboots and they stayed put, I just added VRRP and some virtual IP's and rebooted to test, and what do you know...

So yea, not a lot of confidence putting this in front of customer VM's seeing something as simple as this making it by the QA team.

Sad, since I like the central management features of CC, but I won't put something like this in production yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tjk View Post
    They were going to, looking to replace some Sophos UTM (don't care for the XG), and have been fighting this all day. Thought it was good, 4 reboots and they stayed put, I just added VRRP and some virtual IP's and rebooted to test, and what do you know...

So yea, not a lot of confidence putting this in front of customer VM's seeing something as simple as this making it by the QA team.

Sad, since I like the central management features of CC, but I won't put something like this in production yet.
    To be fair, read the Wiki... Debian used to manage this for us, they killed the behavior with Debian 10. So this is a "new" issue, and the fault of Debian not Untangle. Debian itself doesn't offer interface stability anymore.

And yes, the fact that Untangle itself isn't managing a .link file automatically over a year after this mess started is HORRIBLE optics. Even if Debian deserves the larger black eye for doing this to all of us.

But hey perhaps costing them a sale or two will get UT devs off their green suited buts to whack together a quick script to bang out the .link file for us.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 08-29-2021 at 01:52 PM.
    tjk likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

tjk
    Untangler

To be fair, read the Wiki... Debian used to manage this for us, they killed the behavior with Debian 10. So this is a "new" issue, and the fault of Debian not Untangle. Debian itself doesn't offer interface stability anymore.

And yes, the fact that Untangle itself isn't managing a .link file automatically over a year after this mess started is HORRIBLE optics. Even if Debian deserves the larger black eye for doing this to all of us.
    Oh, I get it is a Debian issue, however Untangle should be doing a better job at QA and catching this and fixing it. At the end of the day, I'd be paying Untangle not Debian, so while this is clearly a Debian issue, untangle knows about it and hasn't fixed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast