Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Default Remap Interfaces no longer works

I don't know when it broke or why, but Remap Interfaces does absolutely nothing other than move the names around... but the names don't mean anything. It will not change which physical interface is associated with with which device id (i.e. eth0, eth1, etc.), so it serves no purpose. It ACTS like it's going to change something, in a useful way, but it doesn't.

Works for me on 16.5.0. There is a "done" button and then "save" button to press.

remap1.png

remap2.png
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

If you consider that result to be working as intended then I don't know what the point of doing it would be... all it did was swap the labels around. perhaps I just don't understand what "remap interfaces" is intended to do... but it sure doesn't do what I needed, nor does it do what I could swear it used to do.

Remap interfaces allows you to move a virtual interface (internal) to a different physical interface (eth1).

So if you need internal to be on ETH4, you can drag it from eth1 where it is by default, and then move it to eth4. You click done to QUEUE the changes, then you have to click save on the interface edit screen to commit the changes, and most importantly restart networking on Debian so the IP address and other configuration details on the old interface move to the new one.

I'm about to try to move my bench network from ETH3 to ETH6 on my unit here in my office to see if it still works.

*Edit* Yes... I see the bug, it's happening to me too. Getting screenshots to document.

What I see happening is the drag / drop mechanism is moving the ETH flag around instead of the virtual address name. Worse, the IP configuration stays with the ETH flag, so you can't actually move an interface configuration to a new physical interface. All it does is swap the virtual interface labels, which is in a word... useless.

NGFW should be holding network configuration directives to the virtual interface name, and relocating that configuration to the updated physical interface on save. It's simply not doing that. Yes, this is a bug.

I'm opening a ticket with Untangle support, and will reference this thread.

Automated ticket handling failed... called in and got a ticket open.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-06-2022 at 11:09 AM.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    *Edit* Yes... I see the bug, it's happening to me too. Getting screenshots to document.

What I see happening is the drag / drop mechanism is moving the ETH flag around instead of the virtual address name. Worse, the IP configuration stays with the ETH flag, so you can't actually move an interface configuration to a new physical interface. All it does is swap the virtual interface labels, which is in a word... useless.

NGFW should be holding network configuration directives to the virtual interface name, and relocating that configuration to the updated physical interface on save. It's simply not doing that. Yes, this is a bug.
    Yes, that... you explained it much better than I did.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Remap interfaces allows you to move a virtual interface (internal) to a different physical interface (eth1).

So if you need internal to be on ETH4, you can drag it from eth1 where it is by default, and then move it to eth4. You click done to QUEUE the changes, then you have to click save on the interface edit screen to commit the changes, and most importantly restart networking on Debian so the IP address and other configuration details on the old interface move to the new one.

I'm about to try to move my bench network from ETH3 to ETH6 on my unit here in my office to see if it still works.

I'm opening a ticket with Untangle support, and will reference this thread.

Automated ticket handling failed... called in and got a ticket open.
    16.5.0 works the same as far back as 14.0. What are you seeing different from the previous version?
    Last edited by jcoffin; 05-09-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    16.5.0 works the same as far back as 14.0. What are you seeing different from the previous version?
    Really? I think you're too focused on the window.

A virtual interface designation is used in rules all over the place, and it is where the IP configuration is stored. The physical interface only exists to link to a virtual one to get its configuration.

At present, and I cannot say how long ago this break happened... but certainly at present one cannot take "internal" and move it to an arbitrary interface and have Internal's IP configuration move to said physical interface.

And again, if that's "by design", so be it. But be warned... you may as well simply remove interface remapping from the product entirely. There is no purpose to the feature if it cannot relocate all of the configuration an old interface had to another physical interface. Right now that remapping doesn't do anything but swap names on interfaces around, which is functionally useless. I do not know when this changed, due to issues in the past I work very hard to avoid remapping interfaces.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-09-2022 at 05:11 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

This has always worked this way. The purpose of remap is for the order of the physical interfaces to match the order displayed since Debian labels interfaces in the order they come up, not the proc order. The settings are part of the virtual interface which is what you are seeing.

Networking is changing with the Debian Bullseye in the next UT version.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    The settings are part of the virtual interface which is what you are seeing.
    BUT THEY AREN'T!

If they were, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The settings after remap move with the physical interface flag, NOT the virtual one. That's the bug!

Configure an interface, and remap an unconfigured one to it. Look at config -> interfaces afterward and look at where the IP address sticks. The IP configuration will be on the original physical interface, not the virtual interface that was configured prior. The UI will look like the virtual interface retains the configuration, but the OS says otherwise.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 05-10-2022 at 08:29 AM.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Did you ever get anywhere with this Sky? Mostly just curious at this point, I found another way to fix my issue before I even posted; it was running on VMWare so in the end I just changed all the virtual cables around.

Just wondering if anyone at untangle ever did agree that remap interfaces currently does nothing of any value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast