Untangler

Question Building a backup NGFW device

So I booted it up and got UT installed happily on the new machine using a USB key. I have a single NIC currently connecting it to my network, behind the existing UT machine. Right now, it just presents me with a link (browser) to the Command Center. I would like to have this new machine download all the config from the current one and try it out for a few days (at least). What is the process for doing this?

For the moment, I have this backup widget shut off, as I don't like the idea of a rogue DHCP server on my network. Safe transfer suggestions are welcome here.

Read VRRP, DHCP is also covered in the article.

Untangler

That's a different scenario than mine. I just want a single replacement device. Unplug #1, plug in #2. No live switch-over involved here.

Untangler

It looks like I need to go here.

Untangler

I filled out the forms, and now I'm waiting for Remote Control to start on that machine. It never happens. What must I do since it's behind UT?

Untangler

This is a bad experience. First of all, the new machine is BEHIND the current FW. I have marked it such that it no longer gets filtered for anything. Rebooted it (again). Now it asks me to login to my Command Center account, and I do.
    I select "Appliances->Add Appliance" and fill out all the info needed for the new device.

Then it simply updates my existing appliance, and not the new one. WHY?

Untangler

Finally got it working, and after copying in the backup file, it restarted itself as another DHCP server using the same IP as the current UT device. Crude.
    I will have to wait till this weekend, or some other time when I have a whole day to mess with this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RainCaster View Post
    This is a bad experience. First of all, the new machine is BEHIND the current FW. I have marked it such that it no longer gets filtered for anything. Rebooted it (again). Now it asks me to login to my Command Center account, and I do.
    I select "Appliances->Add Appliance" and fill out all the info needed for the new device.

Then it simply updates my existing appliance, and not the new one. WHY?
    Just because it's on line doesn't mean it gets the updates, sometimes takes a few days, so they all don't just call home and update and flood the system.