Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by TirsoJRP View Post
    If you have a video problem you should try to force a basic resolution at boot or block the vga driver from loading.
    one thing i do, which may not be to your liking is to install Proxmox hypervisor on the base hardware then install untangle as a VM. this gives me a "machine" that is consistent and can be backed up and restored on different hardware as I choose.

Untangler

I put an old video card in it, and it installed and booted. Any recommendations on a a cheap PCI-E card?
    The onboard NIC still doesn't show up. Not a huge problem, as I have plenty of these TP-Link NICs that seem to work fine.

This is really annoying. I wish I didn't have 4 systems bought and built. I'll probably have to switch gears and build with old hardware.

Thanks for the help!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by primerump View Post
    one thing i do, which may not be to your liking is to install Proxmox hypervisor on the base hardware then install untangle as a VM. this gives me a "machine" that is consistent and can be backed up and restored on different hardware as I choose.
    I'm not familiar with Proxmox, or even Untangle as a VM, but I'll check it out.

Untangler

If you decide to go with Proxmox there are a few threads about optimizing the vm for Untangle. It will make quite a bit of improvement over just a plain vm.

Good luck
    dashpuppy likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    If you decide to go with Proxmox there are a few threads about optimizing the vm for Untangle. It will make quite a bit of improvement over just a plain vm.

Good luck
    IMO, I strongly recommend keeping Untangle on a dedicated appliance 100%.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    IMO, I strongly recommend keeping Untangle on a dedicated appliance 100%.
    To each there own. It depends on each situation. If the hardware is not supported by Untangle that kind of rules out bare metal. So spend more or try your favorite hypervisor. Mine works fine for home on Proxmox and it is free. Unfortunately my isp is using model T version hardware so who knows if it would work on gig speeds. We may never get there. Free market competition is a myth.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 06-20-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    To each there own. It depends on each situation. If the hardware is not supported by Untangle that kind of rules out bare metal. So spend more or try your favorite hypervisor. Mine works fine for home on Proxmox and it is free. Unfortunately my isp is using model T version hardware so who knows if it would work on gig speeds. We may never get there. Free market competition is a myth.
    it's totally a unique situation to Virtualize the firewall YES it works, I have done it too. However if you have it running your WHOLE house and you need to reboot the server to do maintenance or patching, then guess what ? everything goes off line.

I've been installing Untangle since 2009. Out of all the garbage and nice pieces of equipment I have install it on. NOT one has not worked. Till this day my favorite box is the Datto i3 units they are small powerfull and do full gig. My first Untangle install was on a Dell p4 with a dual port intel pci nic. It ran perfectly..

People often and I see it so much go out and buy NEW hardware OR i7's for a home firewall for it to sit at 0.01% CPU used.. Older hardware is still good..

$hit, I have the nice shiny Untangle / Arista W8 at home I love it, its fast snappy, it runs the Quad core Intel Atom C3558 cpu can I make it work hard NOPE! My point is, people always think they need HIGH cpu power to run Untangle @ home or in a small SMB environment, when you don't..

Untangler

Maintenance happens with hardware too. Do you not buy a car because you will have to change the oil? You have to plan for such things. It is that simple.

Upgrades don't take you down unexpectedly unless they are automated and fail! Which they should never be!
    Last edited by donhwyo; 06-20-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Untangler

I agree with most of the sentiment above, on both sides. I'm just bummed out that I can't run Untangle on a new computer, with a motherboard that was released a year and a half ago being "too new". Strange that Proxmox runs on Debian too, but it recognizes the onboard video and LAN just fine.

I have some retired Q87 boards laying around with i5-4570s, 8GB of memory, and WD Black 500GB HDDs. It looks like I'll just go with those, as I'm not confident enough in my own abilities/experience with Prox Mox on 4 sites for a customer a half hour away. Maybe if I was just playing around in a lab environment...
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untangler

Proxmox provides a modified Ubuntu kernel and that is much more up to date. Not quite bleeding edge as 5.19 rc is out.
    (Linux 5.15.35-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.35-5 (Wed, 08 Jun 2022 15:02:51 +0200) And it is open source.
    If that kernel would work with Untangle life would be much simpler and probably better. I know Untangle modifies the kernel but I would think the goal should be the same for both. Fast networking, containers and quick file access. Maybe Untangle could dump the qemu parts. And yes it updates every few weeks. Unlike most network devices. As of now the Untangle kernel is at least one version older than debian buster current. Maybe more.

Don't get me wrong I like Untangle and just re upped my five year license not to long ago. But if you claim stability and security based on using debian you need to be close to up to date or that is a bogus claim.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast