Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Struggling to install on H510M motherboard

Hello All,

Longtime Untangler here. Scared to death about the new ownership. I love Untangle and will be deeply sad if they ruin it.

I'm trying to install Untangle on a new build: Asus Prime H510M-E motherboard, Pentium G6400, 16GB G-Skill , Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2, using the onboard NIC and a TP-Link TG-3468.

I've tried the latest 16.5.1, 15.0, and most recently 16.1.1 installers (iso file to flash drive using Rufus)

I always get the same result after installing, then first boot: The server failed to properly detect correct video and monitor settings. There are several things to try: 1. Restart and select a different video mode boot option (I tried them all) 2. Use a different monitor ( I swapped to a 15" ancient VGA only monitor) 3. Change the BIOS video card settings (I tried them all) 4. Remove any KVM (don't have one) 5. Try a different video card (I'm not adding a discrete card)

About 6 tries so far, always the same result. Does Untangle hate my hardware? I'm now trying just 7zip-ing the iso straight to the flash drive now. Maybe it just hates Rufus. Maybe I shouldn't have used it, no idea. There aren't many video options on this motherboard, and I haven't found a way to completely turn off UEFI, and don't really want to.

Any advice, anyone?

Untangler

Nope, it didn't just hate Rufus. Same thing just copying the iso to a flash drive with 7zip. Good to know, though.

Untangler

Did you try the serial console install?

Master Untangler

Use Etcher. And is your unit booting Uefi ?
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

This is precisely what happened with me. When it gives you the options - choose Text Administration and use the second option to configure the network interfaces.

Then use another client to log into the Internal IP address and you can configure the system from there. After that it will always boot into Text Administration mode.

It’s not Untangle, it’s Debian not liking certain video cards, or even some onboard graphics options.

Once you’re in via the IP address it works very well.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Untangler

Another way to get the image to USB flash is to use the Raspberry Pi Imager. There are Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

Click the Select OS button and then select Custom OS or Custom Image.

I used it the last time I had to upgrade.

Dennis
    dashpuppy likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
    This is precisely what happened with me. When it gives you the options - choose Text Administration and use the second option to configure the network interfaces.

Then use another client to log into the Internal IP address and you can configure the system from there. After that it will always boot into Text Administration mode.

It’s not Untangle, it’s Debian not liking certain video cards, or even some onboard graphics options.

Once you’re in via the IP address it works very well.
    Yeah, i see he is using a very new motherboard too. Hopefully we see V17 soon so we can start using newer hardware.
    wja96 likes this.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Some things I've tried since my last post:

Updated the BIOS on the motherboard. No change.
    I thought maybe Untangle or Debian might not like the M.2 SSD, so I put in an old SATA WD Black HDD. No change.
    I've tried text administration mode a few times. It only sees the TP-Link NIC. I think I can make it the internal card, I'll be trying that.
    I even went ahead and installed Windows 10 on the computer, to make sure it ran ok. Windows ran fine on it.

I'm surprised the H510M board is "too new". That chipset was released a year and a half ago.

I don't know anything about a serial console installer or Raspberry Pi. Usually the first thing I do in a BIOS for an Untangle install is disable usually unnecessary things like onboard audio, serial, parallel, etc.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jrobbins View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Some things I've tried since my last post:

Updated the BIOS on the motherboard. No change.
    I thought maybe Untangle or Debian might not like the M.2 SSD, so I put in an old SATA WD Black HDD. No change.
    I've tried text administration mode a few times. It only sees the TP-Link NIC. I think I can make it the internal card, I'll be trying that.
    I even went ahead and installed Windows 10 on the computer, to make sure it ran ok. Windows ran fine on it.

I'm surprised the H510M board is "too new". That chipset was released a year and a half ago.

I don't know anything about a serial console installer or Raspberry Pi. Usually the first thing I do in a BIOS for an Untangle install is disable usually unnecessary things like onboard audio, serial, parallel, etc.
    You're motherboard doesn't have serial console Your board is way to new, and like others have said Debian doesn't like the Video card.

WHAT you could do is install it on something intel then move the drive to the new system and see what it does, OR disable the on-board video and uses different video card. Something PCIE and cheap.

If you have a video problem you should try to force a basic resolution at boot or block the vga driver from loading.
    dashpuppy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast