Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Simple Hardware Replacement/Upgrade

I'm replacing a u25w with a z4 Plus. In a perfect world, I would enter the Wizard and the system would ask me if I had an existing subscription and if so, to log in. Once logged in, it would ask me if I would like to restore from command center and if I select Yes, it would take me to my backups. I'd select the backup file and I'd be finished.

What are my real world expectations. The documentation does not address simple replacements as far as I know.

Thanks

Untangler

Sounds like a feature request to me. Lol
    Plug in the new box and log in. Run upgrade to get to the same version you have now. Install your backup. Go to your account and remove your license and assign it to the new box. Cross your fingers and hope the problem was not something in you configuration.
    Probably not.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Sounds like a feature request to me. Lol
    Plug in the new box and log in. Run upgrade to get to the same version you have now. Install your backup. Go to your account and remove your license and assign it to the new box. Cross your fingers and hope the problem was not something in you configuration.
    Probably not.
    Good luck
    Thanks. What if my current version is behind the new box? Should I upgrade and do another update or will it just work? Thanks again.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Kyawa View Post
    Thanks. What if my current version is behind the new box? Should I upgrade and do another update or will it just work? Thanks again.

Id suggest updating the Z4+ to the latest 16.x version, then go to your old unit export your settings and then import to your new box. After its on line, move your license.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    Id suggest updating the Z4+ to the latest 16.x version, then go to your old unit export your settings and then import to your new box. After its on line, move your license.
    I backed up my old box to a flash drive. I'm on version: 16.5.1. If the latest is newer than mine, do I have to upgrade my old box and download another backup? If I'm not online, can I still log in or does it not matter. Of the info I enter during the wizard, does any matter since it theoretically will be overwritten by my backup? Thanks

Master Untangler

I backed up my old box to a flash drive. I'm on version: 16.5.1. If the latest is newer than mine, do I have to upgrade my old box and download another backup? If I'm not online, can I still log in or does it not matter. Of the info I enter during the wizard, does any matter since it theoretically will be overwritten by my backup? Thanks
    Flash drive ? Why not just log into the main portal and download the config ? then when you get the new one log back into portal and restore..
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Well, you posted to do the restore before I was online, didn't you? I can certainly restore from command center. The point of this thread though was to make this process a no brainer. It' been years since I used the wizard so I forgot what to expect. If I have to configure my wan and lan ports before I can get to command center or restore my backup, that's a lot of wasted time.

Master Untangler

Well, you posted to do the restore before I was online, didn't you? I can certainly restore from command center. The point of this thread though was to make this process a no brainer. It' been years since I used the wizard so I forgot what to expect. If I have to configure my wan and lan ports before I can get to command center or restore my backup, that's a lot of wasted time.
    The local gui :P not command center

Log into Z4+ web browser with out being on line AKA LAN port, restore backup.
    Swap devices POOF simple.
    Kyawa likes this.

Ok, I need to take a step pack. When I got my u25, I couldn't use my PC. I had to use a keyboard and a monitor connected directly to the u25. That's why I said flash drive. Your method sounds like I can use a PC.
    Last edited by Kyawa; 07-09-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Master Untangler

This is exactly how I backup and restore to new hardware.��
    Kyawa and dashpuppy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast