Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wireless Network Interface not Detected after Installation

Hello Everyone,

I had a u25xw unit that was stuck at version 14.0 and would not update. Did a reload to install 16.5 All 4 ethernet adapters were detected but the wireless adapters were not showing. I contacted support and was recommended to do another install. After a second installation same result. Not sure why the wireless adapter is not being detected. I was told it would occur during installation of they were available.

Client was connected to the wifi 2 days earlier with no problems. I saw wireless adapters were available and working on the morning I started the reload.

I'm going to have to add a Unifi AP at an additional cost if I don't fix this or have a reasonable explanation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by DynoLa View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I had a u25xw unit that was stuck at version 14.0 and would not update. Did a reload to install 16.5 All 4 ethernet adapters were detected but the wireless adapters were not showing. I contacted support and was recommended to do another install. After a second installation same result. Not sure why the wireless adapter is not being detected. I was told it would occur during installation of they were available.

Client was connected to the wifi 2 days earlier with no problems. I saw wireless adapters were available and working on the morning I started the reload.

I'm going to have to add a Unifi AP at an additional cost if I don't fix this or have a reasonable explanation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Todd
    Probably better off with an external WAP & switch anyways. This is exactly why i refuse to buy ANY router / firewall with built in wireless.

Master Untangler

Exactly!! We are talking $99-$175 for top of the line WiFi5 or WiFi 6 AP.....very small cost for a business of they are utilizing wifi...
    dashpuppy likes this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by defcomllc View Post
    Exactly!! We are talking $99-$175 for top of the line WiFi5 or WiFi 6 AP.....very small cost for a business of they are utilizing wifi...
    Well, a 99$ ap would 100% be better then the built in garbage wifi BUT a decent one is from 100-300$ Depending on needs and throughput required & amount of users.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoLa View Post
    I guess I should have been more specific.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how to get untangle to see the wireless adapters? Does anyone else think it's odd that the wireless adapters were shown in the network area only to disappear after the reload from 14 to 16.5?

I told my client I would try to find out what happened before I install a Unifi AP to get his wireless working for the office.
    Last edited by DynoLa; 08-07-2022 at 07:47 PM.

Untangler

Does lspci show the hardware? Maybe the download was bad?

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Does lspci show the hardware? Maybe the download was bad?
    I'm going back to their office tomorrow. I will run that command to see.

Thanks for the help.

That Which Lurks Below

The uSeries are pretty old at this point. It's possible that the driver which ran the wireless NIC was removed from a subsequent version of Debian; you've moved up three or four kernel versions since 14.0. If there's no driver present in the Debian base, the NGFW won't know what to do with the hardware and will effectively ignore it.
    dashpuppy likes this.
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Untangler

I am still running a u25w. I am at 16.5.1. WiFi works. You might try re-seating the WiFi M.2 card. The RAM has been maxed to 8 gig and a SSD is 128 gig.

Later on after getting the u25w, I got a couple of UniFi APs and a cloud controller. The cloud controller software is now running in a RaspberryPi.

The WiFi is now used as secondary WAN connection to a TMobile Nokia. WAN Failover and WAN Balancing.

The u25w WiFi is fast enough for bandwidth I have.

Dennis
    Last edited by DWomack; 08-09-2022 at 06:01 AM.
    dashpuppy and MP715 like this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by DWomack View Post
    I am still running a u25w. I am at 16.5.1. WiFi works. You might try re-seating the WiFi M.2 card. The RAM has been maxed to 8 gig and a SSD is 128 gig.
    Later on after getting the u25w, I got a couple of UniFi APs and a cloud controller. The cloud controller software is now running in a RaspberryPi.
    The WiFi is now used as secondary WAN connection to a TMobile Nokia. WAN Failover and WAN Balancing.
    The u25w WiFi is fast enough for bandwidth I have.
    Dennis
    I love Unifi! I got an UAC-AP-Lite and put it in the ceiling right in the middle of my small house and it lights up the whole thing. It's only wifi5 but my internet is 300/300 so it's plenty for me. I installed Debian on a 13 year old laptop and it's running my controller like a champ.

Upstairs
    Screenshot_1660100249610.png

Basement
    Screenshot_1660101364591.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast