Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by ms308680 View Post
    how?

to follow up a bit more. Thanks
    Tell support your old activation key and your new one and they can move it over for you and you can redownload it in the store.
    Thomas Belote
    Untangle

Quote Originally Posted by paul2005mel View Post
    I have a default installation of the new Windows version running - everything is working really well except...

I cannot access gmail - either directly (gmail.com), or via google apps (mail.ourdomain.com.au). All other websites load fine - just not google - and there is nothing in the logs to show this is being explicitly blocked.
    What is the exact version of Windows you are running (Vista, XP sp2, or XP sp3)? Which browser are you using?

Sorry to be a bother, but i've read this re-router bit several times and am still a bit lost.

As I understood in the past with this type of technology, it only works on hubs, but i'm reading that this will work in a network full of switches.
    Is this right?

J

Quote Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
    As I understood in the past with this type of technology, it only works on hubs, but i'm reading that this will work in a network full of switches.
    Is this right?

J
    Yes, this works on switches as well as hubs with the exception of of a few Cisco switches. Partial list is Catalyst 4500 Series Catalyst, 3750 Catalyst 3560, and Linksys SPS224G4.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 09-24-2008 at 03:54 PM.

This wont work on any real managed switch.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This wont work on any real managed switch.
    please stop spreading misinformation.
    I understand you don't like Untangle for windows and thats fine, but spreading false information isn't helping anyone.

ps - it works fine on managed switches. just not the few with arp management.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Ok, thanks for that folks, it's gonna cost nothing for me to set one up and try then.

J

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    ps - it works fine on managed switches. just not the few with arp management.
    This is what I meant! All "real" managed switches do arp management. The others are semi-managed models that allow basic trunking on usually only a few ports.

For the curious this is really only applied to higher end network stuff. Think Cisco, Nortel, Bay, HP... there are some Linksys, Netgear, and Trendnets that fit this bill as well but are less common.

99.9% of the time this stuff never makes it into the SMB sector anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

Now if I could just get 5.41 to start on my laptop... I may need to get a better laptop I think this one is just running out of ram.

Also it isn't fair to say I don't like this technology. I really need my laptop to do this because it is quite simply the best marketing tool ever devised to help me sell UT!

I do think it is short sighted to configure this on a commercial network, but for a home deployment this could be just what the doctor ordered... I can sell an "upgraded" desktop to mom and dad that gives them UT in the background? You just gave me the ammo I need to sell "game class" hardware to the rank and file...

No I like this tech quite a lot.

Just get this thing working on Vista Business 64bit... sold.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 09-25-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    This isn't endpoint security - this is gateway security on an endpoint.
    As far as we can tell not only is this idea not crowded - its never been tried.
    Hi,
    I'm thinkin' this has been tried. It smells a lot like arp cache poisoning on the switch or hub. Cable modem hackers/Uncappers have been doing something similiar to this since about 1999. I could be wrong, but if I were trying to do this, I would try to poison the arp cache on the switch. Just a thought.

When will this work on Vista and 2003?

Les
    Last edited by les_garten; 09-25-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Les_garten that is exactly what it does. It intentionally misdirects layer 2 so all lan traffic destined to the gateway comes through the UT device.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456