Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Ok I did a reboot and it started up fast and is running. I can now right click on it and see it's running. As for the tasks Yes to untangle_service.exe no to vmware-vmx.exe I do have vmware-authd.exe. The service is running and set to automatic.

Can you login?

It says "Status: Running" ?

you don't see a big vmware process? (Sort by memory usage - its usually the biggest )
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Hi Folks,

I am new to Untangle and encounter the same problems as MorrisonS. When I yesterday found Untangle in the Web, I thought, that was the software I've ever been waiting for. But I have to say, my first experiences are very disappointing... I tried to install it on 4 different machines and it worked on none of them. My opinion is, that such a kind of software belongs on a Server, so my first try was on a 2008 Server. But the service did not start and the Untangle Systray keeps on saying: "Starting" all the time... Second shot on a Server 2003: Same error symptoms. Ok, it's unfortunately REALLY not designed for Server-OS, I thought, so I tried my Windows X64 Professional Workstation: But STILL the same behaviour. On all those three Installations, I could start Untangle as simple VM-Appliance and configure it, but afterwards it does NOTHING. I assume, the service is needed for the "Re-Router-Technology"? So I finally tried on the only XP Professional Workstation I have in my network, the one in my living room, that is only used for watching TV and Videos, and is therefore normally not running all day long, but I wanted to see Untangle at least ONCE in action. But also there the result is frustrating, even when it's slightly different as on the other 3 Installations. For the first time the service is running after the Reboot, but the Systray also keeps on saying "Starting" for hours and hours... Sometimes it seems to try to restart Untangle, because there is a Popup, that says: "Status changed to Status: Starting." But there is never another status than that! So do I have to give up here, or is there anything, I can do to make Untangle work in my Network? Any help welcome!

Untangler

Can you login? NO

It says "Status: Running" ? YES

you don't see a big vmware process? NO (well some times I do)
    Ok I think it's up some times, My 2nd PC will not work but if I close Untangle then it will.
    ok (You must assign a static IP address to the Untangle Server.)
    is this in VM or just my Laptop? do I have to have the same ip address on all of them?
    What do I set the 2nd nic to in VM (bridge?) I don't see data moving in the rack.

Untangler

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeinger View Post
    Hi Folks,

I am new to Untangle and encounter the same problems as MorrisonS. When I yesterday found Untangle in the Web, I thought, that was the software I've ever been waiting for. But I have to say, my first experiences are very disappointing... I tried to install it on 4 different machines and it worked on none of them. My opinion is, that such a kind of software belongs on a Server, so my first try was on a 2008 Server. But the service did not start and the Untangle Systray keeps on saying: "Starting" all the time... Second shot on a Server 2003: Same error symptoms. Ok, it's unfortunately REALLY not designed for Server-OS, I thought, so I tried my Windows X64 Professional Workstation: But STILL the same behaviour. On all those three Installations, I could start Untangle as simple VM-Appliance and configure it, but afterwards it does NOTHING. I assume, the service is needed for the "Re-Router-Technology"? So I finally tried on the only XP Professional Workstation I have in my network, the one in my living room, that is only used for watching TV and Videos, and is therefore normally not running all day long, but I wanted to see Untangle at least ONCE in action. But also there the result is frustrating, even when it's slightly different as on the other 3 Installations. For the first time the service is running after the Reboot, but the Systray also keeps on saying "Starting" for hours and hours... Sometimes it seems to try to restart Untangle, because there is a Popup, that says: "Status changed to Status: Starting." But there is never another status than that! So do I have to give up here, or is there anything, I can do to make Untangle work in my Network? Any help welcome!

Hay Untangle only works on XP Pro or Home.

Yes, that's the reason, I finally tried on my only XP Pro Workstation. But the result isn't really better than on the other Operating Systems...

Untangler

Yea I know. The bad thing is I sell it. The box works!! you can try that too.

I believe that it does. I only wonder, what went wrong with my installation. I did some further testing after starting it simply out of vmware (this works here as well) and now believe, this has something to do with the network configuration. Either I can access the Internet and Untangle does not do a thing, or I can see that the data goes through Untangle, but then I can't reach the Internet from any workstation in my network. I Only have to combine those two modes now...

Morrison,

Is vmware-vmx.exe running or not? Check in the task manager. Sort by memory usage and look at the top.
    If not, start over with earlier instructions. reboot, WAIT, test.

Once it says "Running", wait 20 seconds.
    see if you can go to playboy.com in a browser on that machine.
    see if you can go to playboy.com on another machine.
    see if you can login.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Bladeinger,

Only XP is supported.

The infinite starting thing is a known bug.
    You can try downloading this zip posted earlier in this thread.
    Although, That is just a systray issue - it won't effect the running of the service.

The best way to test if untangle is running is trying to go to playboy.com
    You might need to disable the windows firewall if you haven't.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast