Master Untangler

Default VM 5.3 works great!

I switched our office from a LOUD HP DL160 1U machine and piggy backed it VMware on to our file server. You know how everyone is trying to save power and go green....

Installation was a breeze. It's on a modern quad core xeon server with 4gb ram (needs more), supermicro board, server 2008, and raid 10. It's like it's not even there. It's using around 175mb ram and .02% processor. Performance also seems to be better then the dual processor AMD with 4gb ram.

Our office consists of around 10 pc's and 3 servers (sql, exchange, fax).

Untanglit

Which vm server are you using 1.0 or 2.0 or esxi, and how are you using it Bridge or router mode? I would love to have a similar setup like yours I have tried UT on esxi in bridge mode but that didn't work, however the router mode did work. I haven't tried it on vmware server 2.0 yet. But right now I am using the re-router version on an xp machine I would rather put it on a server and get more use out the machine like you. Can you give some more details on your setup

Master Untangler

Sure!

Server 2008 standard 64bit (It's our GC), VMware Server 2.0. Using it in router mode (but DHCP and DNS servers turned off, that's the job of it's 2008 host). It's just our firewall, so if I have to reboot it, the only thing we loose is internet access. No biggie. I had to redo it once, due to the fact that it didn't like to restore the settings from it's non VM friend. My port forwards are not that extensive, so it didn't take too long.

Server is using a SuperMicro X7DAL-E-O board with it's two built on gigabit nics (our LAN is full gigabit copper). One is for the 2008, the other is for Untangle internal network. I added in a dlink 10/100 to connect to our cable modem. Processor is E5410 quad xeon. 4gig A-data ECC full buffer ram, and four hitachi 500gb drives in a raid 10. The pc has plenty of room to grow just in case. I might VM our exchange server on it, but the price of ram compared to it's power use might not make that happen.

Also, don't change the untangle's processor count. Leave it at 1. It would lock up on me when I set it to 2 during the install. I also have it configured for 1gb of ram. It seems to stay steady @ .03ghz and 176mb ram use.

I didn't touch any other VM setting except autostart. I left the 3rd nic in place in the settings, I'm wanting to plug in a USB wireless adapter into the server to see if I can get this to work as an AP too.
    Last edited by Rick@BBM; 10-07-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Master Untangler

I take it back! I had to go back to the hardware box for the time being. The server ran out of ram and would lock. 4gigs in server 2008 with vmware is not enough with all the database programs I have running. It will have 12gigs tomorrow

*EDIT*

Got the ram installed today, works great again!
    Last edited by Rick@BBM; 10-09-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Untanglit

I have untangle 5.42 running on a esx 3.5 server with quadcore cpu and 10 GB of memory. It is functioning as a router (no DMZ though), and untill now I have discovered very little problems. Tell me what you need to know, I will tell you.