Thread: apt-get error

Default apt-get error

when trying to run apt-get I get an error
    "Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/updates.untangle.com_public_sarge_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Release

I am not able to install any any apps as there are none available in the list.

I am on 5.4.

I have tried to reinstall a few times now with no luck. I do have connectivity to the internet and can even hit the untangle store. But no installs.

Any ideas?

welcome to the forums!

try

apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Tried both.

Clean install a 4th time....network locked up before I even added any network information. When I say locked up...I mean I could not access anything internal or external on my network from a separate machine. Once it finished booting up, it was very slow compared to the other installs. It did show all the apps in the list though. Not sure what the deal is.

I might try again this afternoon. I am running this in a virtual machine.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    Tried both.
    Yes, but you didn't post the output.

Regardless I'd say you have some other major issue going on. It doesn't sound like the OS is running smoothly...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It sounds like you had a bridge loop when you did your initial install. when the untangle is installing it bridges the external and internal interfaces together until you select routed mode. If both of your interfaces are in the same network you're going to be in a world of hurt.

When I do a VM install of the untangle, I usually leave the internal NIC "disconnected" in the VM until I'm actually ready to route traffic.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    When I do a VM install of the untangle, I usually leave the internal NIC "disconnected" in the VM until I'm actually ready to route traffic.
    I tried that on a new install of ESXi this afternoon, and still no luck. I can see the internet with no trouble. When I run apt-get update from a clean load it runs through a few repos and then I get:

"Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/updates.untangle.com_public_sarge_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Release (1)

E: Problem opening /var/lib/apt/lists/updates.untangle.com_public_sarge_dists_stable__premium-binary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.